Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Establishes and gains approval for strategic direction and marketing activities associated with multiple product portfolios that span numerous, complex therapeutic areas and ensures active solicitation of inputs from key stakeholders in medical affairs, sales, commercial development, clinical research and development, regulatory affairs, etc. Stakeholders for this role are diverse due to multiple therapeutic areas, broad range of product categories and due to the range of development stages each of these may be at.
- Recommends and drives the alignment of resources and initiatives to achieve current and long-term brand and multiple portfolios growth.
- Applies innovative and competitive strategies to the development of business plans. Execution of the multiple annual plans for all portfolios requires the Senior Director to independently manage the complex variables that impact the successful execution of these business plans. Accountable for proactive management of marketing activities to assure compliance with internal Company and external requirements.
- Ensures development and execution of the value proposition, growth strategies and tactics for all products in each therapeutic area managed. Gains management approval and organizational alignment by guiding development and presentation of 5 year strategic and 1 year detailed tactical plans prior to implementation of programs.
- Independently directs all strategic and tactical management of the therapeutic area portfolios under his/her responsibility. Ensures the development of the annual business plan based on effective market definition, segmentation, clear definition of business opportunities and identification of appropriate business levers. Accountable for the successful implementation and measurement of these plans across multiple products in the relevant portfolio(s) to maximize revenue and market share. Ensures effective marketing representation on therapeutic area business (medical affairs, sales, and marketing) teams. Prioritizes and manages marketing team’s work to ensure resources are focused on key initiatives.
- Responsible for the effective management and operation of all assigned therapeutic area portfolios activities within the approved budget. Responsible for generation of relevant budget and controlling. Accountable for strategic plan and production planforecasting of all portfolios, including gaining stakeholder input on projections. Ensures proper inventory management for each product.
- Leads therapeutic business team(s). Develops and sustains an innovative, collaborative high performance culture for the business team. Formulates a multi-year strategic intent for the therapeutic franchise business team and ensures the business team’s ongoing actions are fully aligned. Secures the therapeutic area business as a predictable, significant and profitable revenue stream for CSL for the next 3 -5 years on a rolling basis.
- Accountable for recommendations on brand and portfolio life-cycle management and gaining alignment on these from multiple stakeholder groups, including senior leadership. Works closely with Commercial Development to identify new product opportunities, accelerate the process of bringing packaging, administration, new products and line extension concepts to the U.S. market. Inputs into early stage product development to define Target Product Profile and Target Labeling.
- Ensures US Commercial Operations input is given to the development of Target Product Profiles, clinical research protocols and Target Labeling copy through appropriate channels – Global Business Teams, Global Project Review Committee, etc. Represents respective therapeutic areas on Global Business Teams and ensures that the North American Commercial Operations position is reflected in all key projects.
- Builds effective working relationships with key external customers, including thought leaders and patient advocacy groups across the entire range of therapeutic areas assigned (eg: hemophilia, HAE, Alpha-1, acquired bleeding, etc). Ensures effective agency relationships are managed and developed in support of key initiatives. Selects and refines groups of vendors used for therapeutic area programs and projects and ensures alignment with therapeutic area marketing teams.
- Has responsibility for oversight and effective management of all team members (i.e. direct and indirectreports) to include but not limited to the following:
- Annual objective setting
- Mid-year and end of year reviews
- Coaching and counseling as appropriate
- Employee development
- Recruitment, selection and development of talent
- Managing, directing & measuring work on an ongoing basis. Provides timely constructive feedback to ensure quality of work meets or exceeds company standards
- Assuring work is completed in a customer focused manner
- Liaises with Government Reporting, Legal and Compliance to ensure compliance of all marketing programs.
- Assures proper staff assignment and timely completion of appropriate training.
Education: BS/BA, MBA preferred
Experience: At least 15 years relevant health care (can include biologics, medical device or pharmaceuticals) sales/marketing or related experience including at least 8 years of product management experience with launch of product or line extension and 5 or more years people management experience. Must have demonstrated experience in contributing business input to early stage development projects. Experience in global markets across a broad range of therapeutic categories preferred.