Reporting to the 2VP, Digital and Social Marketing, the Senior Director of Social Media Marketing will lead social strategy and execution for Travelers. This includes the management, ongoing development and expansion of owned social channels, currently including LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. The role works closely with marketing and sales teams across the company to develop, roll out and manage integrated social media marketing initiatives that meet and exceed engagement benchmarks at multiple points in the buyer journey and help increase preference and demand for Travelers.
The Senior Director is fully immersed in the use of social channels for marketing, constantly researching what other brands do to manage their social communities and grow their audience both within and outside of Travelers’ competitive set while evaluating the evolving capabilities of the social platforms themselves (e.g. content specs, mobile vs. desktop features, live video capabilities, etc.).
On a continual basis, the Senior Director optimizes a consistent stream of social messaging that engages relevant audiences with content to further the objectives of multiple personal and commercial lines businesses at Travelers. S/he gleans insights about social media performance and makes specific recommendations about tests and strategies to support the team’s performance objectives.
In addition to social channel and community management, the role leads company-wide social selling initiatives that train, coach, and enable sales teams to strengthen their reputation and build highly engaged and relevant networks using LinkedIn’s suite of prospecting and advocacy tools.
The Senior Director is a strategic leader who not only understands social’s role in the larger context of digital marketing but works across functions to help the Enterprise Digital Marketing team plan effectively by managing a digital marketing calendar, aligning stakeholders within and outside the department to the plan and bringing it to life in a cross-functional weekly planning and results meeting. Along the way, s/he ensures that all digital and content marketing is explicitly designed to drive the goals and objectives of business units across Travelers.
Last but not least, the Senior Director is committed to excellence in people leadership, coaching and development and will inspire and empower direct reports and cross functional partners to produce their best work.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Social Media Marketing Responsibilities
- Socialchannelstrategy and capabilities
- Own, maintain, communicate, and drive the strategy for social media and the individual channels within
- Define the opportunities for major campaigns in consultation with BU marketing partners; establishing audience, objectives, scope, positioning and KPIs
- Stay on top of trends, changes, and emerging opportunities in the social space and propose, plan, and execute new engagement tactics and format
- Work collaboratively with business partners at various levels of organization to understand their goals and define strategies to address those goals (via digital, social and mobile, and content marketing).
- Collaborate with other marketing disciplines (advertising, research, communications, creative services etc.) on a variety of highly complex programs/ initiatives.
- Manage the creation and maintenance of the social media calendar for all channels, based on criteria that determine which topics are included, the cadence of each particular channel, the frequency of messages, and the mix of messages based on their impact on performance.
- Optimize organic channel performance, from message selection to creative, targeting, and audience growth. Oversee development of all social posts and content marketing creative—paid and organic. Apply digital marketing techniques to effectively attract audiences utilizing an appropriate mix of platforms.
- Guide research and development of channel strategies and recommendations related to expanding into new channels. Develop all relevant roadmaps to launch new channels and specific social programs (e.g. Facebook Live events)
- Socialcontent creation andpublishingprocess optimization
- Integrate Agile marketing techniques to streamline and improve quality in the social content creation and publishing process
Field/Agent and Team Leadership Responsibilities
- Social Selling Training for Field
- Work with marketing strategy leads to strategize social selling integration in sales process (e.g. Construction, Technology)
- Maintain and drive an on-going social selling training and coaching program to teach sales people how to use social media to strengthen business relationships and develop sales outcomes
- Drive the development of, source, and publish content to enable social selling
- Manage follow-ups and on-going coaching program with each team in coaching program
- Manage social selling vendor relationships and license
- Digital Marketing Training for Agents
- Concept, script, and produce on-demand video-based training that teaches insurance agencies how to use digital marketing to build business
Analytics and Test and Learn
- Understand, source and define Key Performance Indicators to measure campaign and resource performance and identify efforts for improving engagement, acquisition, and/or retention.
- Work with the analytics group within Enterprise Digital Marketing to drive enhancements to weekly organic reporting, categorize posts by type, and make specific recommendations to the broader team based on results. Use data to enhance the social calendar planning process. Compare paid vs. organic performance by factors that include message type, length, image type, topic, headline, and more.
Additional Digital Marketing Responsibilities
- Accountable for assisting in the development and implementation of digital marketing strategy, content, media and related technologies through specific channels that support organizational marketing objectives for entire online customer journey (engagement, acquisition, and/or retention of business).
- Digital Marketing Calendar
- Gather priorities from stakeholders across BUs and functional areas and align to content schedule as well as integrated marketing plans to develop and gain approval on the quarterly calendar
- Help drive the weekly digital marketing planning meeting and find ways to engage the broader team in conversations about continuous improvement
Other Support and Participation
- Provide insight and ideas in discussions with team members on business programs and initiatives.
- Provide insight and ideas in discussions with team members to understand the goals of business partners and to make recommendations on strategies to address those goals (via digital, social and mobile, and content marketing).
- Develop a knowledgeable understanding of the business and the functions performed by other marketing disciplines.
Minimum of 7 years of experience. Minimum of 2 years of management experience.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing or other related field or equivalent experiencepreferred
- 8+ years of digital marketing at a strong brand or agency preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of leadership experience with social media marketing managing social communities of 50K+ followers per channel.
- Experience in insurance and/or financial services desirable.
- Thorough knowledge of digital media concepts
- Thorough knowledge of data-driven content marketing
- Thorough knowledge on how to research and target wants/needs of various audiences.
- Thorough Knowledge: Possesses advanced knowledge of subject matter in order to solve unusual as well as common work problems.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Advanced analytical skills as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced time and project management skills
- Maintains advanced skills and understanding of digital advertising landscape
- Advanced ability to evaluate effectiveness of programs
- Demonstrated flexibility and intermediate ability to think “outside the box”
- Advanced Leadership Skills, including ability to:
- Coach and develop employees
- Leverage Differences.
- Manage in participative manner.
- Manage change effectively.
- Inspire others and promote a vision.
- Understand and navigate organization.
- Align resources to accomplish key objectives.
- Advanced skill/competency level: demonstrates advanced knowledge and ability; can apply the competency in new or complex situations.
Operates standard office equipment (Frequently) Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently) Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Frequently)
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.