This position is responsible for managing the strategy, development, delivery and launch of the IHS Engineering Workbench – a platform encompassing the full suite of IHS Product Design products. This position will work across the Product Design Business Line and in close partnership with Application Development, Product Marketing, Product Management and Sales to create a new platform and strategy for delivery of IHS Engineering, Technical Reference Content and Applications.
General Job Duties:
- Develop, maintain, and communicate the vision for the platform and products in Product Design. Including roadmaps and strategies to integrate related products into the new core product platform, interface, and packaging.
- Key strategic lead in the development of Engineering Workbench and business model to commercialize tool sets.
- Understand competitive landscape from standpoint of strategy and functional capabilities, in comparison to platform.
- Drive the positioning and interaction of the platform and products within the overall IHS product portfolio. Includes integration with other domains, through new or existing products. Present strategy, vision, and plans to senior management, and others as necessary, to build buy-in. Present to investors and board members as necessary, to create understanding of strategy and plans.
- Negotiate and manage strategic partnerships and vendors, based on needs from analysis of competitive advantages and strategic fit.
- Lead the development of market research, customer testing, and customer advisory boards with the goal of building an in-depth understanding of the market, industries, buyers, & users, as input for building the platform and products vision and strategies.
- Monitor and maintain the ongoing customer acceptance and satisfaction of products and support services in the field.
- Conduct customer interviews via sales calls, conferences, and win/loss analysis, with the goal of building the platform vision and strategy. Interact with customer executives as required, to build plans to address their business goals.
- Coordinate and lead internal and external product support groups to develop and implement plans to improve the business through new product development, product enhancements, new content, content packaging, marketing programs, pricing strategies, and general product lifecycle management.
- Supervise the development and maintenance of requirements for product enhancements based on market understanding and business objectives. Coordinate with Product Development team to manage the scope and quality of the product delivery to meet timelines and business objectives.
- Lead development of product launch plans, appropriate to the scope of each release, which lay out clear business objectives.
- Supervise the product support activities and documentation for internal groups (i.e. Sales, Support Center, Data Accumulation, Order Management).
- Establish procedures and guidelines for development and support activities.
- Set annual revenue projections based on strategic and development plans. Monitor, report, and analyze financial performance against the plan throughout the year. (Total revenue currently supported by products is over $300M.)
- Coordinate with other product leaders to optimize the balance between existing and new revenue sources, as well as with other product revenue plans and strategic goals.
- Monitor and analyze existing revenue sources for growth opportunities, and identify ways to build new revenue sources. Primarily through productizing the platform capabilities and features.
Market Management Methodology
- Establish methods and procedures within team and other product support groups to manage the market through product strategy, product delivery, product marketing, and product support.
- Work on special projects with Corporate Marketing leaders to establish methods and procedures for company-wide market management organizations. Including analysis of current methods and procedures, and development of new processes and training.
Engineering DegreeRequired, MBA preferred.
10+ years in software product management experience or as a practicing Engineer with experience managing Complex Technology Applications. Previous Product Management as a Sr. Management or Director experiencepreferred.
- Prefer certification in Pragmatic Marketing. Other product and market related certifications are a plus.
- Strong knowledge of existing and emerging technologies, primarily in the Engineering Tools and Analytics with a focus on SaaS as the delivery platform
- Project management and organizational skills; proven ability to handle multiple projects, manage staff of direct and in-direct reports.
- Knowledge of databases and computer/information technologies to resolve business issues and problems. Experience with Agile development methods is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate with all areas of the company
- Strong leadership skills to enable team members to deliver product to market
- Ability to travel up to 50% - if called for to include international travel
- Solid computer skills including proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, and Project preferred.