Our Researchers are responsible for the investigation of new and unproven technologies, advancing state of the art, and developing ideas that inspire and inform the future of VMware. They are expected to launch new research initiatives and/or collaborate on existing research projects.
- Your role will be attracting bests-in-class researchers to the group in addition to the permanent research staff, this includes interns, post-docs, visiting scholars, etc. who am essential components of our program.
- You will mentor VRG researchers, guiding their career growth and professional development, including their stature within the Company and within the external research community. Don't just be their manager – be their champion.
- You will create an extraordinary research environment in which the whole is greater than the sum of the parts by finding ways to synthesize multiple research threads into larger agendas – without compromising the integrity of the individual projects. You will guide VRG researchers towards disrupting the research community, through agenda-setting leadership in their respective research communities; and "Disrupting VMware", by seeking out applications for key research advances that will create whole new business opportunities for VMware and/or preempt significant disruptions to our current businesses.
- Establishing productive working relationships with senior R&D staff to: understand the priorities of each engineering group; find opportunities for VRG engagement; and facilitate such engagements. Partner effectively with the Senior Director (Research and Innovation) identifying and implementing of the most promising paths from research to product/service, establish champions within the business units, etc.
- Establish strong collaborative projects with external researchers. Partner with the Director of the VMware Academic Program on the identification of key opportunities and encourage VRG researchers with them.
- You will also interact with customers to learn about the challenges they face and to create opportunities for the early dissemination of research results/artifacts through PoC's etc.
- You will help get VRG messages out to: the research community, prospective employees, industry analysts, customers, developers, etc. This includes the development of collateral, distribution of research artifacts (e.g., OSS), external speaking by VMware researchers, participation in RADIO/VMworld, industry forums, etc.
- Role model our values and actively contribute to the health, fun and vibrancy of the VRG. Make the VRG the research environment you always dreamed of.
Qualifications and Experience
- Proved record of mentoring researchers and guiding them to success. This could either be in an industrial research setting or as a faculty member at a top university.
- Research track record in one or more technical areas relevant to VMware's research agenda. Evidence of having defined and successfully pursued a research agenda that has had significant impact on research community and/or industry.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with product team executives and senior technologists.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with capability to facilitate technical conversations with and among researchers; and describe clearly to executives, customers and technologists the nature and importance of the problems VRG researchers are working on, the unique aspects of their approach, and their results and their implications.
- Capable of handling multiple projects simultaneously and able to travel both domestically and internationally, as needed.
- 15+ years of work experience in technology industry.
- Strong leadership and team-building skills with past management experience highly desirable.
- Preference for an individual who has experience building stuff people use --- prototypes, products, Opensource code, etc.
- Past success in research technology transfer highly desirable.
Ph.D. (or equivalent) in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics or a discipline directly related to your area of research expertise.