Sr. Director, Labor & Employee Relations
15+ years experience • Transportation Services
The Woodmansee Group is a Retained Executive Search Firm representing a leading global logistics company. They are seeking a Sr. Director of Labor & Employee Relations.
This role is responsible for leading organizing campaigns after a petition has been filed and for planning, developing and implementing strategies designed to promote positive employee relations that drive engagement.
Responsibilities also include implementing systems and processes designed to identify and resolve issues before they reach critical mass; inoculating business units to avoid or mitigate organizing attempts or threats of imminent harm to the Company; and developing and implementing training for employees and field leaders and HR.
The ideal candidate will have 15years significant labor management experience in both union and non-union environments, specifically in leading organizing campaigns in the field; advancing practices and policies designed to promote employee engagement.
This position can be based anywhere, but will require up to 80% travel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. These are the most significant job duties performed; otherresponsibilities or assignments not specifically mentioned may also be assigned.
- 20% - Design, update and implement labor relations business strategy, including training and communications. Includes anticipating and advising business leaders on the impact strategic or operational decisions will have upon engagement, dysfunction, and unionization risk and makes recommendations that avoid and/or mitigate labor disputes.
- 55% - Provide leadership, often acting as first responder, and materials for pre- or post-petition union campaigns. Includes leading the management team on the ground in organizing campaigns.
- 20% - Drive the development and execution of enterprise-wide, best-in-class training for frontline employees field leaders and HR on positive workplace practices and how to maintain a non-union work environment or a high- performing organization if organized.
- 5% - Oversee/manage or lead the negotiation of collective bargaining agreements to ensure they are in alignment with Company objectives.
- This Job has decision-making responsibilities up to $100, amount.
- This Job has the discretion to sign a contract up to $15, amount.
- This Job manages and/or oversees and leads the negotiation of all Company collective bargaining agreements.
- Minimum RequiredEducation: Bachelor’s degree in HR, Management, Business or related field
- Minimum RequiredExperience: 15years significant labor management experience in both union and non-union environments, specifically in leading organizing campaigns in the field; advancing practices and policies designed to promote employee engagement; and overseeing collective bargaining negotiations.
- Desirable Education/Experience: Master’s degree in HR, Management, Business or related field and 15+ years, significant labor management experience in both union and non-union environments
HOURS OF WORK / TRAVEL:
- Total travel: upwards of 80%.
- Hours cover early mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Travel to Company sites (e.g., service centers, distribution centers, ports) required weekly
- Travel to regional and corporate headquarters as needed