The Sr. Director of IT Operations is a key member of the IT Leadership team. Primary responsibilities include the development of the overall vision, integrated strategy, analysis, development and purposeful execution across all emerging infrastructure and operations functions to include cloud, virtualization, storage, end-user computing, enterprise tools, communications, messaging, and the Enterprise IT Command Center. Through a consulting relationship with key business clients, this person will proactively deliver high quality, innovative, fully architected, strategic solutions aligned with clear business requirements.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, Infrastructure Operations, this person will challenge the status quo and consistently seek opportunities to re-engineer processes and re-architect solutions. This will be accomplished through passionate situational leadership, inspiration, mentoring and exceptional management of a team of IT professionals executing key initiatives through the full project management lifecycle.
This position requires compelling team leadership of direct and indirect reports and a professional, collaborative approach with vendor-partners to ensure accountability and performance.
The ideal candidate is a highly organized self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, often ambiguous and rapidly changing environment. This position requires a steadfast execution mindset, exceptional communication and collaboration skills and the ability to collaborate in a demanding environment while maintaining a composed, professional demeanor. A high degree of ownership, initiative, interaction and teamwork is required to be effective in the role.
Day to Day Accountabilities
- Manage daily operations of premise and hosted infrastructure, storage, systems and support services including data centers, compute, storage, monitoring and NOC
- Lead the Unified Command Center (24x7x365). Provide vendor service level accountability and escalation management.
- Facilitate the standardization and administration of the end-user computing environment to increase employee efficiency.
- Ensure solution and service delivery adhere to documented SDLC standards, project schedules are rigorously maintained, and SLAs are methodically enforced for both vendor partners and internal delivery
- Direct and prioritize the workload of personnel, including FTEs, contractors, and other third parties
Strategy and Planning
- Participate in the corporate infrastructure and systems strategies to ensure investments will support current and future needs including go-forward data center, cloud technologies, management tools, system integration, virtualization, end user computing, disaster recovery and continuity of operations across our widely distributed technology environments
- Develop, publish and continually update technology operations and support Standard Operating Procedures and detailed environmental documentation based on industry best practices
- Provide expertise and oversight during systems upgrades, installations, conversions, migrations and maintenance.
- Develop and maintain formal measurable infrastructure health and performance metrics presented to IT leadership on a regular basis
- Analyze complex business needs for all aspects of the company and recommend technical solutions
- Lead quantitative, objective source selection initiatives (RFI, RFP, CRP, etc) and manage associated contract negotiations
- Manage close relationships with business units, through IT Business Partners, by focusing on business process improvement, devising innovative solutions to business challenges, making the best use of existing systems, developing systems enhancements and providing continuous systems training and education
- Identify cost drivers and implement cost control plans
- Develop and maintain mastery of the enterprise IT budget and ensure a process and culture to sustain budgetary accountability within the team
- Develop and maintain short and long term budgetary projections and plans
Managing your Team
- Select, engage, lead and develop a best-in-class team
- Create commitment and excitement around shared goals and values
- Set and communicate standards to ensure quality
- Promote the culture of accountability around actions and decisions
- Rigorously assess talent and succession planning. Provide regular, constructive, actionable coaching and feedback. Provide meaningful development plans and discussions
- Set and measure goals for team; with a focus on timely delivery, service-oriented solutions, and value-add benefits to the organization
Leading with Passion
- Responsible for ensuring success through the eyes of employees
- Execute relentlessly against the company strategy. Drive a culture of transparency and continuous improvement. Conduct rigorous due diligence on all plans. Champion and facilitate breakthrough solutions. Take appropriate, intelligent risks
- Drive employee engagement. Motivate individuals and teams beyond current scope of influence
- Lead organizational changes that strengthens the company and our ability to accelerate growth
- Create, enable and cultivate a culture of responsibility and accountability
- Utilize and collaborate with resources across different departments
- Lead by example and operate with transparency, integrity and respect
A candidate for this position must possess the following applicable knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to demonstrate and provide applicable examples to support his/her competencies.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, business management or a related field required; MBA or other relevant degree strongly preferred
- 10+ years of demonstrated leadership experience building cross-organizational consensus
- 10+ years demonstrated experience building and managing a high-performing team
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience managing premise and outsourced infrastructure
- 10 years hands-on experience implementing enterprise class cybersecurity systems and processes
- Sound budget management skills and the ability to develop and present complex business cases
- Experience leading an operations center in a high stress, multi-focal environment
- Experience designing and managing a world-class technical support organization including installation services, 24x7 service desk, dispatch services and an advanced exchange depot maintenance and repair program
- Solid knowledge of ITIL practices and demonstrated experience increasing ITIL capability maturity within an organization
- Remarkable written communication and executive presentation skills; the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Proficient at analyzing and interpreting large amounts of data with the capacity to synthesize information and translate into effective and actionable insights
- Exceptional organization and planning skills, strong analytical abilities and process-driven orientation
- Unrelenting sense of urgency and accuracy with an execution mindset
- Self-starter, creative, enthusiastic, innovative and collaborative outlook