Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
Responsible for leading and oversight of the environmental, health and safety (EHS) regulatory compliance across the entire enterprise including occupational health, corporate offices, manufacturing sites and development sites. Ultimately responsible for occupational safety and health in the workplace, environmental protection, industrial hygiene and sustainability. Oversees development, planning and implementation of EHS policies, programs and auditing procedures along with organizational and systems alignment for reduced operational risk.
- Develops strategic plans in collaboration with business and functional needs.
- Ensures objectives are in alignment with current best practices for occupational health and environmental health and safety.
- Sets vision for global EHS and leads a global EHS team that is aligned to ensure successful implementation of action plans within scope of budget
- Develops annual budget and manages to budget/ forecast
- Leads development of harmonized methods, programs and evaluation criteria for projects, programs, and people
- Manages the development, planning and implementation of environmental, health and safety programs across the enterprise
- Develops health and safety policies and procedures (chemical safety, ergonomics, illness and injury prevention and building safety), including those pertaining to hazardous materials and work areas.
- Oversee compliance training and inspection programs for lab and plant areas to ensure compliance with global occupational safety and health standards.
- Monitors performance of Environmental Health and Safety programs and regulatory compliance with all global regulations, and handles all contact with the appropriate government agencies.
- Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
- Leads and a develops team of diverse and experienced EHS professionals and leaders
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by those in this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties, and other duties may be assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
- BS in environmental sciences, occupational health or engineering, MS or MBA preferred
- 15 or more years of experience in global occupational health and environmental safety in a pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical company
- Prior experience in successfully building and leading teams and developing talent across a global EHS function
- A team builder who is able to coach and mentor team members and work closely with employees on their continued development
- Develops and maintains good relationships, gains the confidence of others and works effectively in a multidisciplinary matrix environment
- Strategic thinker with creative and excellent problem solving and decision-making skills
- Resilient self-starter, who can act independently and learn quickly within a rapidly evolving environment
- Excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated experience managing remote and/or global teams.
- Excellent analytical skills with an ability to critically interpret and use scientific and clinical data to manage risk assessment
- Able to effectively collaborate with site operations, functional leaders and external clients and vendors
- Perceptive, creative, and innovative with the ability to contribute new ideas and to build consensus.
- Experience in global regulatory requirements pertaining to occupational health and environmental safety within the pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical industry
- High attention to detail and accuracy with a strong commitment to business ethics