CARE is seeking a Senior Director of Equity & Inclusion to direct our global efforts in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). As a global social justice organization, we are committed to diversity and inclusion and these principles are at the forefront of our work and directly impact the people that we serve. We pledge to hire and promote, govern and lead, mobilize resources, and create partnerships that will enable us to be more innovative and to deliver faithfully on CARE’s mission to save lives, defeat poverty and achieve social justice We are looking for a senior leader and partner to accompany us as we continue our journey of self-interrogation and transformation.
The Sr. Director will serve as the primary subject matter expert and architect of CARE’s diversity, equity, and inclusion framework and programs. They will lead on everything from strategy development to hands-on implementation, working cross-functionally across departments and globally across our country and regional offices. This work will influence how we work with each other, and how we partner with program participants, community-based organizations, and social movements. In this way, the role will be instrumental in ensuring that we build a stronger organization, powerfully contributing to our social justice mission.
The position will oversee the identification, development, implementation and evaluation of key initiatives. The ideal candidate will have prior training and/or related human resources experience, particularly in supporting diversity and inclusion programs and initiatives globally and in the U.S. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in project management and the ability to drive programs that support the organization's workforce diversity, inclusiveness, and retention opportunities. The candidate should possess strong analytical skills and the ability to translate metrics, research, and trends into key strategies. In addition, they must be able to build and maintain positive relationships internally and externally and be a team player with excellent written and verbal communications skills.
The Senior Director of Equity and Inclusion will partner with CARE’s Global Management team to bring equity and inclusion thought leadership to business strategy and execution. S/he will act as the subject matter expert in equity and inclusion and will work in partnership with leaders and peers within People & Culture on core processes/functions such as Talent Management, Global Total Rewards, and Learning and Development. The Sr. Director will also work directly with the senior leadership teams, to provide consulting expertise and support on the development and execution of specific diversity & inclusion strategies, initiatives and programs, ensuring organizational alignment to the global diversity and inclusion goals and approaches. The Sr. Director will play an important role in connecting with external stakeholders for cross-learning, specific training, and organizational positioning. This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities but does serve as a coach and mentor for other positions within the department.
The Sr. Director, Equity & Inclusion will report to the Chief People, Equity and Inclusion Officer, and will be based in Atlanta, Georgia. S/he will also have dotted line reporting structure into the COO.
Strategy Development and Execution
- Support the Chief People, Equity and Inclusion Officer and Chief Operating Officer with development and implementation of organization-wide diversity and inclusion strategies, including recruitment, performance management, leadership development, employee engagement and retention.
- Works with senior management to assess company efforts on diversity and cross- cultural inclusion programs, establish best practices and identify programs to remove barriers that affect staff retention and advancement.
- Lead the Global and US Domestic DEI strategy and implementation with the support of the Executive Management Team
- Develop, improve and oversee diversity and inclusion metrics and dashboards; track and analyze key metrics
- Consult with managers and leaders on how to support all employees while navigating cultural interactions and issues
- Identify, build, and sustain community partnerships to support corporate diversity and inclusion projects/plans/initiatives and business strategies.
- Define strategy and language for CARE’s position on matters of equity; provide thought leadership (or partnership with thought leaders) and content for internal + external consumption on relevant matters
- Work closely with the PSEA Safeguarding & Global Gender, Equity, and Diversity Lead, to align CARE's domestic DEI programming with CARE's global DEI efforts
Drive an Inclusive Culture
- Lead and support the implementation of inclusion initiatives that support the DEI strategy and bring diverse voices into the organizational discussions and decision making.
- Support the establishment of new affinity groups with project charters, as well as management of existing employee affinity groups across the organization
- Provide strategic leadership and support to and coordination of the domestic Advisory Council
- Promote and support context specific mechanisms that ensure underrepresented groups are heard and participate actively in the dialogue and discussions of the organization as well as are critical contributors to DEI strategy and action plans
- Stay current and provide up-to-date information about emerging issues and trends on inclusive organizational culture and serve as a change agent to provide solutions, resources and training
- Creates instruments linking diversity and cross-cultural awareness to the organization's performance management processes and the business plan.
Global Diverse Talent Acquisition and Retention
- Serve as subject matter expert and liaison to HR Business Partners and the business to develop strategic action to attract/develop/retain diverse talent by analyzing and presenting talent demographics, monitoring data trends and developing diversity initiatives.
- Work in partnership with the Learning & Development function to develop and implement training and career development opportunities that support DEI at CARE
- Prepare the annual DEI report for the Chief People Equity and Inclusion Officer to present to the Board Talent Committee
- 12+ years of related experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in related field
- Related experience includes DEI program and design, HR management
- At least 10 years of experience in DEI and a proven track record of operationalizing a DEI strategy into concrete working plans
- Results and metrics orientation, leading to the design, deployment, analysis and continuous improvement of DEI training and initiative
- Proliferating knowledge among leaders and increasing their DEI capabilities and impact globally
- Proven, progressive experience and demonstrated effectiveness leading diversity and inclusion related initiatives in complex organizational (ideally global and/or Nonprofit/social justice/or corporate organizations)
- Partnering with recruitment to enable a consistent, fair, equitable approach to DEI hiring
- Building up and engaging with Employee Resource Groups
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a clear and compelling communication style
- Strong organizational and presentation skills
- Demonstrated sense of urgency and attention to detail is required. Must possess the ability to prioritize based on need
- Ability to navigate tough conversations with varied audiences and challenge the status quo
- Demonstrated influential skills at all levels, along with the ability to connect, communicate and facilitate within a matrixed/complexed environment
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) in English is required