The eBay Motors group is redefining the automotive shopping experience, as it continues to be the Internet’s largest marketplace for buying and selling all things automotive. It is comprised of three business units: Vehicles, WHI (a provider of software and digital catalog solutions for auto parts distributors and retailers, acquired in 2012) and Parts & Accessories. Its Parts & Accessories business generates about $XX billion in gross merchandise volume and its site features more than XX million available parts and accessories at any given time. With three parts or accessories sold on eBay every second, its end-to-end services offer huge value to its shoppers. The Parts & Accessories business is comprised of the following:
- Engines & Components: motor mounts, timing components, belts, and gaskets. This category also includes complete engines and engine rebuilding kits.
- Brakes & Brake Parts: rotors, discs, pads, shoes, and other accessories for all things related to brakes.
- Mirrors: Exterior and interior mirrors and accessory mirrors for cars and trucks.
- Lighting & Lamps: interior or exterior lights, including dome and map lights, fog lights, headlights and tail lights, and brake lights. There are also covers, light bulbs, and entire light assemblies.
- Wheels, Tires & Parts: wheels and tires of all sizes, along with wheel hubs and bearings, hub caps, tire chains, wheel spacers, etc.
- Exterior: body kits, lip kits, spoilers, bumpers, and other components designed to adorn the vehicle's exterior to enhance aesthetics or performance.
Reporting to Todd Madeiros, Vice President and General Manager, eBay Motors, the Senior Director and Head of Merchandising, Auto Parts & Accessories will be responsible for:
- Overseeing day-to-day operations of the eBay Parts & Accessories business
- Leading strategic direction and development for Automotive Parts & Accessories
- Coordinating product development for Seller, Buyer and Merchandising site experience
- Planning, forecasting and guiding inventory acquisition for quarterly and annual performance for Volume and Revenue
- Leading, coaching and developing a team of Merchant/Category managers and site merchandisers
The ideal candidate should have experience and passion for the automotive space, ideally with expertise in parts and accessories. S/he should also bring a depth of experience in ecommerce/online at scale, with a strong spike in merchandising including demand/supply planning, category management, assortment experience, etc. This leader will be highly customer-focused in combination with having strong technical/operations skill. The candidate will be a motivational leader who is able to build a cohesive team, develop and communicate a vision, and energize the team behind this vision. S/he should have experience successfully driving significant change and transformation in an organization. High integrity and honesty are absolute requirements, and the candidate will be able to effectively interact at all levels of the company and with external constituents. Skilled at managing in a complex organizational environment, he/she will deliver impact through superior leadership and influencing skills. S/he will be strategic in thinking as well as tactical and pragmatic in approach.
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
- Strategic Orientation: The candidate will have experience in developing business strategies and plans that incorporate competitive issues, trends in the industry, and external factors. His/her planning experience should cover a range of products and/or markets and address the full range of organization implications. S/he should understand how to integrate market and competitive trends, organizational state, and other issues into a coherent vision for growth, and link this vision into a series of initiatives and priorities that are compelling and logical.
- Results Orientation: The ideal candidate will have created new approaches to existing problems that have had significant impact on his/her business and will have implemented world-class and leading edge performance standards. S/he will bring a sense of urgency to the organization and will lead by example and demonstrate high personal energy in every interaction.
- Entrepreneurial Drive: The ideal candidate will have a strong “roll up your sleeves” entrepreneurial drive and will be energized by the variety and ambiguity of working in a lean organization that is in the process of being built out. The candidate will, ideally, have experience leading an organization through a similar state of development.
- People Leadership: The candidate will have a strong track record as a people manager, including team leadership and people development across multiple geographies. The ideal candidate will have built high-performance and achievement-oriented teams that have delivered success and will have demonstrated the ability to attract high-caliber talent. This individual will empower people and groups to take risks, to challenge, to innovate, and to improve. Ideally, the candidate will have experience scaling teams rapidly.
- Collaboration and Influencing Skills: The candidate will have demonstrated the ability to work as part of a global business/regional structure with a strong culture. He/she will put broad business objectives before personal objectives and will have a personal style that is viewed as open-minded and collaborative, but not abrasive or arrogant. While this individual will be encouraged to take bold actions needed to grow the business, the successful candidate will have a natural tendency to seek the input and buy-in of key executives throughout the organization in formulating such ideas and plans. The successful candidate will possess the proven ability to communicate and manage relationships with customers, suppliers, and other corporate partners and external constituents.
- Personal Characteristics: The ideal candidate is an individual with exceptional cognitive skills, a strong executive presence, while at the same time being open and approachable. The person finds a good balance between being humble, empathetic, and personal, yet also passionate, implementation-focused, driven, and direct. Finally, the person shows a high degree of emotional intelligence and multi-cultural sensitivity.
- Requisition Number R0026705