$250K — $500K+*
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Sr Director Mechanical Operations for heavy maintenance provides direction in a leadership capacity and models the behaviors necessary to tactically execute the planning, direction and operation of a major heavy repair, and component rebuild shop in support of Amtrak’s Business Lines rolling stock equipment and component needs. Additionally, the Sr Director Mechanical Operations is expected to utilize the capabilities and assets within the heavy maintenance shop to maximize capacity utilization by fulfilling demand developed mechanical operations and strategic needs. Functional requirements include developing and organizing complex production plans and processes for rolling stock and component rebuild activities in accordance with all Amtrak and regulatory requirements as well as safety, quality, and customer aesthetic requirements. Furthermore, the Sr Director Mechanical Operations is accountable for implementing process management and best engineering maintenance practices to achieve continuous improvements that will increase reliability, availability, and quality while maximizing production efficiency and minimizing cost. As a key leader in the Chief Mechanical Officer’s organization, the Sr Director Mechanical Operations must demonstrate and foster an organizational environment that builds relationships, teamwork, and consistent commitment to the success of Amtrak.
The Sr Director Mechanical Operations for heavy maintenance will be responsible for demonstrating Amtrak’s values and leadership philosophy while providing customers with excellent service and meeting performance targets that are driven by and aligned with the Strategic Plan AOP.
•Effectively contributes to a safe and secure work environment for employees and travel experience for customers. Responsible for setting the safety standard for the shop and leading the organization in a drive to a zero incident and injury culture within the Operations organization and Amtrak.
• Oversees and directs from conceptual design to project implementation and close-out, the planning, development, integration, estimating, scheduling, and management of resources required to accomplish all aspects of heavy maintenance and mechanical service activities within scope, schedule, and budget.
• Directs heavy maintenance and mechanical service activities with internal constituencies such as Transportation Operations and Rolling Stock Engineering and local commuter, regional, and state organizations as appropriate.
• Maintains strict oversight of maintenance alerts, FRA and FDA regulatory requirements, supplier maintenance instructions, and SMPs.
• Provides guidance and support for Labor-Management Improvement Committee recommended improvements in employee safety, productivity and cost savings, workplace environment, communication, and growth of reputation and capabilities. Assures active engagement of employees in processes necessary to achieve success.
•Oversees the development and implementation of mechanical services related safety plans and programs designed to reduce injuries and change behaviors.
• Develops and implements heavy maintenance and mechanical service best practices and procedures.
• Develops and implements heavy maintenance and mechanical servicing quality assurance and control procedures.
• Oversees planning, integration, inter-departmental and agency coordination, and implementation of heavy maintenance and mechanical service programs and practices across disciplines to determine performance levels, marketplace competitiveness, and annual maintenance and capital and reimbursable budget utilization.
• Provides leadership, guidance, and direction to cross-functional teams to ensure proper management and control of heavy maintenance and mechanical service project schedules, financials, and resources.
• Oversees the development and implementation of goals and objectives required to safely and efficiently complete heavy maintenance and mechanical service programs and projects within scope, schedule, and budget.
• Responsible for assigned business process (es) within the Mechanical Department and develops the applicable plan, establishes KPI’s while ensuring adequate resources are assigned. Position is accountable for consistent work activities relating to the process and sharing of best practices.
• Bachelors Degree in Engineering or in a related field or the equivalent combination of education and training/experience.
• 15 years’ experience with railway and rail transit rolling stock to include a demonstrated knowledge of and experience in rail transit rolling stock or heavy equipment manufacturing operation including extensive servicing, repair and maintenance program experience and/or capital intensive equipment overhaul/manufacturing experience.
• Extensive leadership experience.
• Demonstrated experience in project and inventory management; technical supervision; quality control; planning, organizing, and scheduling for procedural and operational methods.
• Demonstrated experience in budget and financial control; contract management.
• Demonstrated experience communicating orally and in writing within the corporation and externally.
• Demonstrated process management experience.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience related to safety program methodology and its application.
• Strong leadership and decision-making skills.
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in combination to administer effective presentations.
• Ability to effectively facilitate change including development of innovative approaches designed to address chronic issues and concerns while garnering support and acceptance of the change effort.
• Knowledge of accepted industry quality standards and the ISO quality procedure.
• Knowledge of industry and/or railway regulatory requirements (i.e. AAR, AREMA, APTA, EPA, FTA, FDA, OSHA, and FRA).
• Knowledge of industry and/or railway maintenance practices and facilities, heavy maintenance operations preferred
• Knowledge of mechanical craft labor agreements preferred.
• Demonstrated computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software.
• Masters Degree in Engineering or a related field.
• Six Sigma Training and Certification
• PMI Project Management Certification
• Demonstrated experience in managing multi-shift operation with complex collective bargaining agreements.
• Significant knowledge of railway and rail transit rolling stock.
• Significant knowledge of hospitality or travel industry operations.
• Significant knowledge of domestic and international railway engineering regulatory requirements.
Valid through: 1/30/2022