Parchment, the market leader in electronic credential exchange, is looking for a creative and energetic engineer for the role of Senior DevOps Engineer. You will be part of the Parchment Production Services team answering calls for operational advice across the Parchment engineering organization. We work very closely with all of the software development groups to bring a "full-stack" perspective on how applications and infrastructure should work together. Our mission is to bring an automation, availability and performance perspective while supporting the Parchment Engineering organization's initiatives to continue to improve upon our modern engineering practices and enhance our continuous delivery capabilities.
The position will be based in our office in Scottsdale, AZ, and offers a competitive salary and equity for the right individual. Some relocation assistance will also be considered for the right individual. The position reports to the Senior Director of Production Services.
- Build and maintain Parchment's infrastructure with cloud providers (such as AWS) as well as on premise virtualization technologies such as VMWare and Openstack utilizing automation tools (such as Chef and Terraform)
- Networking design and optimization, WAN/LAN, switching, load balancing and firewall management
- Support various software engineering teams as an "ops" person, attending team meetings and advising in an operational best practices capacity
- Design and safely perform changes to our production environment following a defined change management process
- Triage and address requests for operations assistance, automate recurring requests and/or make them self service
- Identify key system metrics and ensure adequate monitoring coverage for new and existing services
- Design and develop IT infrastructure with an emphasis on security, data confidentiality, system integrity, availability and reliability
- Plan, develop, maintain and document the technical infrastructure for Parchment's business continuity plan
- Monitor operating capacity and plan for future growth
- Troubleshoot and participate in the resolution of production systems, network and application issues
- Take part in a 24x7 on-call rotation for production and other customer facing environments
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Expert in building and managing Linux operating systems, especially Ubuntu, RHEL and CentOS
- In depth knowledge of Linux internals.
- Ability to write advanced shell, Ruby and other other languages
- Track record of automating complex tasks and troubleshooting highly complex systems
- Fluent in Continuous Delivery concepts
- Experience with configuration management systems and concepts (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt, etc.)
- Experience with IaC (Infrastructure as Code) tools such as Terraform or Cloudformation
- Expert in the usage of revision control systems, especially Git as part of your daily work
- Experience with various containerization technologies, specifically Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with network security and administration, specifically with firewalls, switch and load balancer administration. In depth knowledge of network design and security protocols.
- Experience customizing, managing and scaling monitoring, metrics collection and graphing systems, such as Prometheus and Grafana
- Experience operating within and knowledge of regulatory and compliance obligations (PCI DSS, FERPA/HIPAA)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Nice to have, but not essential:
- Professional experience in a web application shop, especially in a DevOps and "continuous deployment" environment
- Familiarity with automated host provisioning tools such as Terraform
- Experience with key-value store and service discovery platforms such as HashiCorp Consul and Vault for secrets management
- Experience with mission-critical databases, particularly MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Experience monitoring and tuning Java and PHP application stacks
- Familiarity with full text search platforms, such as ElasticSearch and Solr
- An understanding of caching and scaling strategies at all layers
Desired Education & Experience:
A bachelor's degree in computer science or related field and a minimum of 7-10 years of practical work experience are required.