8x8's DevOps - Kafka Engineer is responsible for building, configuring and deploying components, and monitoring of the Kafka platform. The position is highly technical and balanced between engineering and operations roles such as systems configuration management and software development. The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who can act independently, lead other team members, and represent operations core values across the organization.
- Coordinate/Plan & Execute activities related to Kafka platform maintenance and Software release management
- Designing, operationalizing, maintaining and scaling production Kafka clusters
- Responsible for Kafka tuning, capacity planning, disaster recovery, replication, and troubleshooting.
- Implementing Kafka security, limiting bandwidth usage, enforcing client quotas, backup, and restoration.
- Provide expertise in Kafka brokers, zookeepers, Kafka connect, schema registry, KSQL, Rest proxy and Kafka Control center.
- Standing up and administering on premise Kafka platform.
- B.S in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5+ years' hand-on experience as a DevOps Engineer
- 2+ years of hands on experience as Messaging Platform
- Experience in both private and public cloud (AWS or GCP)
- Experience working in an agile environment and broad understanding of SDLC.
- Experience with a highly available and scalable SaaS.
- Experience working with large amounts of data in a distributed data environment.
- Experience doing rolling upgrades with zero downtime
- Please be ready to share some kafka war stories and what you learned from it
- In-depth understanding of the internals of Kafka cluster management, Zookeeper, partitioning, schema registry, topic replication, and mirroring
- Hands-on Installation & configuration experience with Confluent Kafka
- Rich experience in defining Kafka topics, partitions and in defining Kafka Storage.
- Experience around Kafka subscribers – publish subscribe model. Understanding of Kafka log analysis.
- Strong Experience in AWS Cloud platform and its features
- Proven troubleshooting & issues resolution skills
- Ability to analyze & communicate root cause and resolution steps