At Housecall Pro, we are focused on making the lives of service professionals better by helping them to incorporate technology into their daily workflow. We are the operating system for home service professionals across the US and Canada.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer, you’ll be part of a technical team that architects, builds, maintains, scales, monitors, and secures the Housecall Pro cloud infrastructure. This team promotes flexibility and autonomy and will empower you with creative freedom and ownership in your work.
You will work as part of the larger Housecall Pro engineering team, collaborating to identify and implement the tooling they need to iterate the product lines rapidly and safely. Your ultimate goal is to enable engineering to help good Pros become great Pros, and you will do that by creating a solid, flexible, stable foundation that enables us to ship quickly and safely in the face of massive growth.
This position requires enthusiasm for the details of code and systems running “in the wild.” You will face challenges with systems running real users and data that require imagination, tenacity, and attention to detail. Curiosity and the ability to learn on your feet will serve you well in this role.
Our Engineering team is extraordinary. We’re a hardworking and focused team driven to deliver industry-leading apps to our customers. Our success is their success. Our team of entrepreneurial, enthusiastic and client-focused team members are the "engine room" of Housecall Pro, helping our customers operate and grow their businesses.
As a qualified candidate, many of the following apply to you:
- You enjoy a mixture of software engineering, site reliability engineering, automation, performance optimization, security, and operations work
- Linux has been part of your life for years at this point and other open-source tools are very familiar to you. Bash scripting accelerates your work. You know which tools to use to debug or optimise a misbehaving instance or container.
- You have built infrastructure in a public cloud using Infrastructure as Code. You may have used tools like Terraform, CloudFormation, Pulumi, or CDK, or written directly against a cloud provider’s API.
- A strong familiarity with containerization tools like Docker is a must and running containers in production is second nature. You have used tools like AWS ECS, Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, or Mesos + Marathon.
- You are familiar with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery/Deployment. You have automated deployment processes and created deployment pipelines. You have used tools like GitLabCI, Travis, CircleCI, etc.
- You are comfortable with relational databases like MySQL or Postgres. You can optimize queries. You know when to add indexes. You understand how to run these with High Availability, and you know their limitations from experience.
- You’ve worked in an Agile environment. You thrive on iteration. You make opportunities to bring value sooner rather than later.
- You value data-driven decisions. You are always looking for opportunities to quickly produce the right data to make decisions quickly.
- Communicating your plans and actions across the engineering team is your superpower. You can explain complex topics in simple ways. You know when to listen and when to push back. You keep cool under pressure.
- You have experience with and embrace the challenge of building scalable infrastructure under constant change.
As an exceptional candidate, some or all of the following may apply to you:
- Canary Deploys, Blue/Green deploys, automated production testing, or other tools that enable Continuous Deployment.
- You know the difference between a relational database and a NoSQL database, and when to use each.
- You have worked with distributed systems. You understand the tradeoffs between Consistency, Availability, and Partition Tolerance that you must design around in a distributed world.
Housecall Pro is committed to equal treatment and opportunity in all aspects of recruitment, selection, and employment without regard to gender, race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other category protected under the law. Housecall Pro is an equal opportunity employer; committed to a community of inclusion, and an environment free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.