Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Our Optical Communications segment has recently evolved from being a manufacturer of optical fiber and cable, hardware and equipment to being a comprehensive provider of industry-leading optical solutions across the broader communications industry.This segment is classified into two main product groupings – carrier network and enterprise network. The carrier network product group consists primarily of products and solutions for optical-based communications infrastructure for services such as video, data and voice communications. The enterprise network product group consists primarily of optical-based communication networks sold to businesses, governments and individuals for their own use.
Scope of Position:
- Development engineer focused on advancing optical fiber connectivity innovation.
- Create solutions for manufacturing fiber optic cable assemblies through design of innovative equipment and processes based on fundamental understanding gained through use of the scientific method.
- Collaboration with internal and external subject matter experts.
- Work closely with engineers and technicians to define process and equipment requirements.
- Evaluation of new raw materials, component designs, and process equipment.
- Evaluation of internal process equipment designs and commercially available technology.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Design and develop new process methods and technologies for fiber optic termination.
- Establish functional equipment requirements.
- Create operational ranges for parameters defined as a result of experimental development.
- Create fixture and equipment designs capable of achieving the operational ranges.
- Create detailed mechanical designs of experimental apparatuses, fixtures, and equipment using 3D cad software.
- Support project teams and lead work-streams including the definition of project deliverables and timelines.
- Work with internal and external subject matter experts to identify key processing technologies and determine automation feasibility.
- Engage global manufacturing plants to capture manufacturability of proposed solutions and support initial implementation of new process equipment technologies.
- Work with manufacturing engineering to develop and implement process documentation for each project.
- Analyze process data using statistical tools (e.g. pareto, regression, time charting, analysis of variance, gauge R&R, etc.).
- Interpret data to make recommendations on immediate actions, long term corrective actions, follow-up experiments, etc.
- Define experimental plans, measurement methods, and mechanical setups for evaluation of key learning objectives.
- Analyze current designs and new concepts with sensitivity and tolerance analysis.
- Identify equipment design risks with failure mode analysis.
- Maintain and improve a safe work environment.
- Up to 50% depending on the project requirements. Includes international travel.
- BS in Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Preferred
Required Years and Area of Experience:
- At least 7 years of experience in an engineering field with at least 2 years of development or experimental laboratory experience working with electrical/mechanical design, assembly, and testing.
- Demonstrated problem solving techniques.
- Demonstrated, applied mechanical aptitude.
- Ability to clearly express technical ideas.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external customers and within multi-national groups
- Ability to work in technical project teams in a team member role.
- Desire to learn and develop personal and organizational knowledge.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office (Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint)
- Experience with use of 3D CAD software and creation of 2D drawings (Pro/E or Solidworks strongly preferred)
- Ability to interpret drawings and schematics.
- Capable of performing complex data analysis using MS excel (SPC), or statistical software such as JMP or Minitab.
- Familiar with fiber optic theory.
- Fluent in foreign languages: Spanish, Chinese, and Polish.
- Proficient in the use of DOE, SPC, Six Sigma and other process control/ analysis techniques to recommend decisions based on thorough data analysis.
- Project management experience and demonstrated application of project management tools.
- Proactively collaborates throughout an organization and drives technical culture.
- Experience with discrete assembly processing.
- Experience developing automated processes.
- Collaboration with internal and external equipment designers.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Personal initiative and commitment
- Organized with good planning and time management skills
- Ability to build relationships within cross functional groups; team building skills
- Positive attitude, flexible and good work ethic
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.