What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
The Senior Developer creates the overall structure and workflow of a software solution and is responsible for leading and/or handling the development of one to multiple components. The Senior Developer will work with the Architect to build the appropriate architecture to support the application. The Senior Developer contributes to the development, maintenance, and enhancement of business applications by providing specialized technical and business knowledge to the team. Under the guidance of a Team Lead or Manager, collaborates with Business Analysts, key stakeholders, other IT professionals to define detailed customer requirements and system interfaces, assess available technology, and develop and present technologies. Recommends and supports technical coding standards and practices. Stays current on emerging technologies.What you'll do…
- Function as part of a scrum team responsible for the complete delivery of solutions.
- Design, build and unit test application software in a multi-technology environment.
- Socialize best practices and design patterns as appropriate to ensure high quality software products and minimize maintenance requirements.
- Offer technical direction on how to adopt and use the latest tools and technologies
- Leverage agile and DevOps to optimize delivery practices
- Be an advocate and evangelist of micro services architecture and REST API vision
- Drive technical-excellence within the technical community of practice
- Diagnose and troubleshoot problems reported.
- Previous experience working as a core part of passionate agile teams
- Experience in a variety of fast-moving domains working on strategic initiatives
- A team player, technical mentor, keen to coach others and share ideas with your team
- A great communicator able to articulate technical issues in plain language
- You take ownership of tasks and are outcome focused
- You are able to build relationships and are a trusted advisor to IT and the business
- Continuous learner, seeking out new technological solutions, languages and coding methods
Some things you have experience with…
- Experience assembling solutions using custom development, off the shelf systems, and 3rd party integrations
- 5+ years using frameworks such as Grails, .NET, Node.js, or Flask
- 5+ years of experience with relational databases and SQL – MS SQL Server preferred
- 3+ years Agile project delivery methods
- DevOps, CI/CD, test automation and cloud deployment
- Rapid prototype sprints to deliver new innovations to market
- Experience creating modern web applications and designing Web APIs with REST/JSON
- Experience setting up cloud-based innovation / sandbox environments for experimentation
- Familiarity with design thinking and customer centric design
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, other related field or military experience
Other desirable/ advantageous skills and experience…
- Experience gained in either an insurance or insurance related business or a retail environment.
At this time, Markel Corp will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.