Responsible for creating and executing original design concepts for specified categories within the Division. Contribute to seasonal concepts that are market right through color, fabric, finish, pattern, model and fit. Design products from concept through completion with a focus on function, quality and creativity. Develop product standards and strive for design innovation. Work closely with merchandising and product development counterparts to insure company objectives are met with regard to product timing and integrity. Continually assess the competition to identify opportunities for new businesses in underserved markets. Uphold the highest standards of excellence in communication to establish and maintain strong relationships with both team members and all Pacific Sunwear business partners.
- Design products from concept through completion within the time frame established by seasonal calendar. Is able to generate hand and computer sketches, and work with them in Adobe Illustrator to show color and print options. Must convey a sense of urgency and possesses an uncompromising attention to detail to insure styles maintain design integrity. Continuingly evaluate departmental selling to uncover new potential categories of business. Works closely with the merchants to develop styles that protect existing businesses and utilize company-testing strategy to extrapolate emerging product trends for the upcoming seasons. Meets all merchandise assortment and price point guidelines by partnering with team members to insure success.
- Conceptualizes the seasonal trends, themes, colors and styling. Integral in developing fabrics that are new, current and aesthetically appropriate for the brand, while adhering to production and costing requirements. Shops the trim market in search of new developments and interesting details that help distinguish the product from the competition. Work with Print team and graphic designers to create initial pattern concepts in prints, yarn dyes, and graphics. Responsible for following through handloom, strike off, lab dip approval, etc.
- Constantly evaluate the competition and a have an unwavering commitment to maintaining and improving brand positioning. Must diligently shop the stores, read trade magazines and keep abreast of issues, movies and events that affect creative trends. Continually revitalize and reinvent the classics with a balanced and timely introduction of innovative new product and product details. Must partner with the merchants to understand and interpret current business trends in both our stores as well as the competition.
- Must produce a complete tech pack for every garment designed, in a timely manner and in the designated format established by the technical design department. It is the individual designers responsibility to insure that the techpacks are organized and clear so that samples may be developed efficiently. Understand the build of materials, all trims needed in the garment, and work with technical design to establish basic blocks as well as fashion specs for all classifications of product. Attend all fittings with technical design and help determine the appropriate fit. Primary responsibility in fittings is to give aesthetic and visual input while tech design contributes construction and pattern skills to interpret the designer's intended fit and features. Must keep PDM system updated with any and all design changes within designated time frame.
- In addition to the performance of the job responsibilities, mentioned above, this position might be required to perform supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the supervisor based on the particular requirements of the operation.
- Helps executive leadership develop strategic approach to the business while beginning to train, motivate and manage a small group of employees.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities:
- Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop skills.
- PDM training and experiencepreferred.
- Timely sense of trends and market direction encompassing color, fabric and silhouette.
- Working knowledge of garment construction, pattern making, textiles and current finishing techniques and processes.
- 10+ years designexperience, which includes fabric sourcing, technical design, trim development and color training and practical experience.
- Minimum 7 years experience with specified category
- Strong hand sketching skills
- Computer PC, MAC and CAD experience.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to work with all levels of cross functional partners.