As a Database Engineer you will:
- Provide expertise in the various database platforms hosting our applications. You will be an expert Microsoft SQL Server DBA but willing to ramp up and learn Azure SQL, RDS for SQL Server and other database platforms.
- Develop an understanding of our business applications architecture, and provide architectural guidance to improve database and systems operations and integration
- Assure proactive monitoring, maintenance and production support of a broad array of databases supporting several business brands
- Build capabilities to quickly and effectively incorporate the management of databases of newly acquired companies
- Provide effective communication, interaction and reporting to all Carbonite stakeholders, including Operations, Engineering, Finance, Marketing and IT teams
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
Your First Six Months:
- Assume production DBA responsibilities across all Carbonite product lines; the initial focus will be to provide Microsoft SQL Server expertise.
- Design, build and operate database environments. Be a key extended member of the development team.
- Develop solutions for monitoring, availability and reliability, performance, analytics and security.
- Document and provide training to peers relating to the database environments.
- Learn and absorb responsibilities related to the Carbonite Safe Server product lines.
Six to Twelve Months and Beyond:
- Gain and share expertise in database technologies other than SQL Server including MySQL, MongoDB, Azure SQL and RDS for SQL Server.
- Participate in various product development tasks
- Take greater responsibilities to deliver on database-related initiatives including:
- Supporting the consolidation and migration of database-related environments
- Performance optimizations
- Enhancements to our existing monitoring and notification infrastructure
- Security enhancements
- Automation of repeated, manual steps
- Insuring our 24 X 7 X 365 availability and recovery capabilities
- Become an expert relating to the database systems supporting various Carbonite productions including Carbonite Safe, Carbonite Endpoint, Carbonite Recover, Carbonite Server Backup, Webroot SecureAnywhere and others.
- Involvement in the adoption of more DevOps approaches to a database platform release process.
- Begin to provide database consulting services to the development organization relating to best practices when dealing with our database platform.
Key Challenges to Overcome
This role is to be an essential member of the database platform team that provides database-related support throughout Carbonite. Key challenges include the ability to work within a fast-paced environment and be adaptable to shifting priorities. The individual must be able to adopt to new technologies being introduced from within product development as well as through company acquisitions.
What will make you successful at Carbonite:
- A track record of good judgment and decision-making
- Highly autonomous and able to independently identify high value projects and drive them to completion
- High degree of comfort with complex technical environments
- Having and being able to articulate/defend an informed opinion on important topics
Skills & Experience
- Highly proficient in database technologies, especially SQL Server. 3 – 5 years of ETL experience with hands on SQL Server experience
- Skilled with SSIS and the ability to learn and master other related technologies including Azure Data Factory, AWS Glue and Informatica
- A solid grasp of data modeling, data architecture and the passion to continually improve the quality of the most valuable asset in the organization: data.
- Able to write complex SQL, stored procedures, and database triggers
- Knowledgeable of SQL Server data structures and architecture
- Knowledgeable of database utilities and tools
- Eager to contribute in a team-oriented environment
- Able to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Excellent in communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Able to quickly grasp complex technologies
- Experience with DevOps environments and automation desired
- Eager to grow with an exciting company
In 2005, Carbonite introduced a new way to protect computer files, quickly becoming one of the industry’s most affordable, easy-to-use cloud backup for consumers. Since then we’ve expanded to become one of the leading data protection platforms for today’s sophisticated IT environments.