This position is for a Sr. Database Engineer in the PaaS (Platform as a Service) Data Tier team, who will help build and manage Visa's data/database platforms on SQL/NoSQL technologies, as well as integration services.
As an engineer/architect in this team, the individual will contribute to the design, architecture, solution engineering on the database area. The individual should be well versed in database architecture & engineering best practices, software development, automation. The individual will also be able to research new and existing DB technologies and evaluate the features or products to improve the availability, time-to-market, cost etc.
You'll need to have excellent communication and cross-group collaboration skills, be a self-starter, a quick learner of new technologies.
- Create and maintain database standards including - build, monitoring, backup and security standards for the various DB technologies including NoSQL and SQL.
- Conduct proof-of-concepts to evaluate different database technologies on both SQL and NoSQL in various areas including availability, scalability, security, manageability and performance.
- Create requirements document and automate recurring tasks to improve the agility and to minimize human errors.
- Integrate database monitoring metrics with solutions such as Prometheus
- Test, validate and document database security best practices such as Technical Security Requirements and implementation procedures
- Define and implement high availability and continuous availability best practices and standards.
- Work closely with delivery, engineering, development and operations team to ensure database standards are followed and architecture patterns are aligned with the requirements
- 2 years of work experience with a Bachelor's Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD)
- 3+ years of experience working with one or more of distributed data store technologies such as Cassandra, MongoDB, Couchbase.
- At least one year hands on experience with software development, automation using any programming language.
- Experience conducting proof of concepts, performance bench marking using tools such as YCSB, Sysbench and experience running Jepsen tests.
- Experience automating database tasks, such as provisioning, patching, scaling.
- Experience working with Open Source community edition products such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, MongoDB, Apache Cassandra
- Strong understanding of HA and continuous availability design principles and experience architect continuous availability solutions.
- Experience integrating with monitoring solution such as Prometheus
- Experience with database containerization is preferred.
- Experience integrating with enterprise directory for database authentication is preferred
- Experience contributing to opensource technologies
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Good understanding of DBaaS and PaaS principles.
- Good interpersonal skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills.
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.