At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007—as a team of two with one big idea. Today, that idea has become a movement. Fitbit is now a publicly-traded company creating award-winning products and services that are available across the globe. We’re transforming the way the world sees health & fitness. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public—offering a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like free lunches, Friday happy hours, on-site fitness classes and more. As part of our team, you’ll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and—above all—have fun doing it.
Fitbit’s HQ campus is made up of three modern buildings located at the heart of SOMA in San Francisco. Monday-Friday you can feast your eyes on amazing views of the skyline, then feast yourself on some of the city’s best food trucks, lunch spots and coffee shops. When you’ve had your fill, lace up and make your way to the Ferry Building for the perfect post-work run or walk along the water (with the Bay Bridge as your backdrop)!
Think you’ve found your fit? See what we’re looking for below and apply today.
Fitbit is an engineering driven company with a focus on providing a great, consistent, and continually available user experience. Our customers are uploading their tracking data and viewing their stats all the time, so site performance is critical to customer satisfaction. Site operations major focus is site availability while, at the same time, enabling rapid site improvement.
About our stack:
Our application stack is based mostly in Java, however most of our operations automation is developed in Python. The major components we use daily are Ubuntu/Linux, MySQL, Redis, Neo4j, Solr, logstash, Kibana, Graphite, collectd, StatsD, Nagios, Tomcat, Fabric, Jenkins, Git, JIRA, Confluence, Stash, Cassandra, Puppet, HAProxy, Nginx and Ansible. We leverage mostly externally hosted bare metal servers, with some virtualization thrown into the mix. An excellent candidate will demonstrate existing knowledge in a number of the tools we use as well as an ability to both teach others and learn new skills.
Site Operations Senior Database Engineer
Fitbit is seeking a Senior MySQL Database Engineer. This position will be primarily responsible for managing the MySQL technical platform and providing active support for all aspects of the Fitbit MySQL data set. Candidates should have extensive experience in writing related automation. The position is full-time and can be based in either San Francisco or Boston. On our team, you'll build and maintain large-scale, highly distributed MySQL solutions on a Linux platform.
The Database Engineering Team is responsible for all data platforms (currently MySQL and Cassandra). This position is primarily focused on MySQL, with the opportunity for some Cassandra cross training if desired. The team owns both the strategic technical roadmap and the day to day operations for our platforms. This includes break/fix, capacity planning, performance management, security and the change process.
We'll ask you to:
- Manage high transactional MySQL databases servicing a variety of customer facing applications
- Develop the MySQL internal architecture, MySQL databasedesign, implementation, performance tuning and capacity planning
- Work closely with internal customers
- Handle enterprise backup and recovery strategies
- Perform database software management, including patch and version management
You need to have:
- 5+ years of experience working with MySQL at a senior level
- Demonstrated expertise with open source/Linux development and production environments
- Hands-on experiencedesigning and implementing database replication strategies
- Excellent scripting skills and working knowledge of Python and shell scripts
- Experience in designing and automating repetitive processes
- The ability to work under pressure and multitask
- Experience working with Puppet and Ansible (or comparable tools).