Primary Purpose of the Position:
The Senior Database Administrator is responsible for database administration and tactical day-to-day management activities of production database servers domestically and globally
Duties, Responsibilities, and Physical and Mental Demands:
- Participate in strategic database process delivery as needed across the following areas: security, backup and restores, patches, and installs. Create and remove logins; create, monitor, and troubleshoot SQL Agent jobs; create, monitor, and troubleshoot backup and restore jobs; build new installations; decommission existing installations
- Provide input around IT database architecture enhancements. Attend project planning meetings;design implementation schemes.
- Assist Database Operations Manager to guide business units with regard to project requirements and propose alternative solutions as appropriate leveraging existing systems, processes, and technologies. Meet with development staff as well as business stakeholders to define requirements and create documentation for design and implementation
- Participate in gathering snapshots of existing internal projects and new function product rollouts, ensuring that IT remains on schedule. Attend project meetings; document progress.
- Ensure the compliance of projects with technology standards and database strategy, and analyze the impact of each project on existing operational systems. Review requirements and designs per project. Participate in project team meetings
- Interact directly with the Quality Assurance function to define acceptable service delivery metrics and to ensure that these levels are met in the areas of system availability, redundancy, capacity, and application response time. Document baseline performance metrics. Monitor tests for performance deltas. Design and execute remediation steps.
- Manage Schema changes in accordance with existing policy to ensure new application functionality is executed without impact to existing application functionality. Participate in weekly deployments; rebuild SQL Server replication as needed across global environment; and work closely with development to remediate issues as needed during deployments
Education and Experience Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in MIS, Computer Science, Math, Engineering (or 4 additional years of relevant experience in lieu of degree)
- 5 years of experience in the IT field with SQL Server 2005, 2008, and 2012
6+ years SQL Server 2008, and 2012
Skills and Competencies
- Experience across other major Relational Database Management Systems (RDBMS) and operating systems a strong plus
- Excellent organizational and decision making, problem solving and negotiation skills are essential
- Strongly customer focused
- Able to prioritize a number of concurrent projects
- Solid, proactive communication skills
- Able to speak effectively, to listen to others, and to synthesize presentations to the target audience
- Sound understanding of Internet technology, e-business tools and architectures, database management, client/server and middleware based architectures
- Conceptual understanding of networks, data and audio conferencing
- Excellent understanding of Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2012, including clustering with Windows