This is a production DBA role, some of the primary responsibilities of this role would include owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, reviewing service related reports (e.g: database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service related issues are identified and resolved within established SLAs, responding to database related alerts and escalations and working to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems. Complete all assigned project work in a timely matter.
This MS SQL Server DBA role requires a service oriented mentality, high sense of urgency of the problems and requests assigned, focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with the SLAs, establishing and maintaining communication with technology customers to keep them updated with status of their requests, initiating and performing changes on production systems and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
- Experience with Database Administration for MSSQL Server.
- Actively and consistently supports all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Designs and maintains access and security administration.
- Designs, implements and maintains backup and recovery strategies on Database Management Systems.
- Supports multiple services and multiple databases of medium complexity with multiple concurrent users, ensuring control, integrity and accessibility of data.
- Troubleshoots alerts (alert log, Jobs, Disk Group, Table space etc.) and performance issues.
- Experience in Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience with backups, restores and recovery models.
- Experience with SQL in a virtualized environment (ESX and Azure).
- Knowledge of Always-On, High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for MSSQL Server.
- Experience in implementing operational automation using scripts.
- Knowledge of indexes, index management, and statistics.
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory and proper disk configurations.
- Performs capacity planning of SQL server environment and provides recommendations to management to sustain business growth.
- Designs, implements, maintains Disaster Recovery (DR) methodologies and creates documentation.
- Gathers business requirements and designs, implements multiple projects along with the production support.
- Creates standard operational procedures and templates.
- Acts as mentor for Database Administrators and AssociateDatabase Administrators.
- Performs research and provides plans to remediate complex business problems.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
Ability to read, write, speak and understand English
Strong knowledge of database architecture and its implementation
Strong understanding of best practices in maintaining medium to large scale Oracle database systems
Strong knowledge of PL/SQL programming language
Strong understanding of Change Management procedures
Strong knowledge of Instance, database and query tuning to improve the performance of the database/application
Strong understanding of SAN technologies related to SQL server disk layouts
Strong knowledge of Windows/Linux/Solaris operating systems and shell scripting
Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear and straightforward manner
Ability to communicate with all levels of management and company personnel
Ability to handle multiple projects and tasks
Ability to make decisions and solve problems while working under pressure
Ability to prioritize and organize effectively
Ability to show judgment and initiative and to accomplish job duties
Ability to use personal computer and software applications (i.e. word processing, spreadsheet, etc.)
Ability to work independently
Ability to work with others to resolve problems, handle requests or situations
Ability to effectively consult with department managers and leaders
BA/BS in Information Technology, Computer Science, or related field or equivalent work experience
Related Work Experience
6 to 9 years of experience working with Oracle and various database management systems in testing, implementation, maintenance and administration in a multiple platform environment