Tumblr is looking for veteran data scientists who are well-versed in data analysis and algorithm implementation, excited to understand hundreds of millions of registered users, learn what makes them tick, and inform better decision-making and strategy for our product. We want data scientists who know how to use their knowledge and skill with data and statistics to create real, actionable product insights. Above all else, we want you to be someone who is excited to be let loose on Tumblr’s many terabytes of data.
What you’ll do:
- Experiment with big data, big systems, and big challenges with an extraordinarily small and talented team.
- Translate business questions into actionable insights via data extraction and analysis, requiring deep understanding of the Tumblr product and data availability.
- Apply various data modeling techniques to model user behavior and identify actionable levers for retaining and growing users.
- Define key metrics, conduct A/B testing, and oversee statistical measurement of new algorithms and approaches.
- Drive deep analysis and synthesis to create actionable insights into product features and direction.
- Use your passion and understanding of Tumblr's product to provide insights to help shape business decisions alongside Leadership team.
Who you are:
- Ph.D in quantitative field (eg. Mathematics, Economics, Statistics, Computer Science) strongly preferred.
- Proven quantitative skills, ability to think analytically, and strong attention to details.
- Extensive experience in solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches
- Experience extracting data and deriving insights to facilitate product development
- Experience with user growth and retention in an Internet-based company a plus
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Smarts, humility, and equal willingness to learn and teach.
- Ability to work with APIs in Python a plus (eg. Google Analytics, Tumblr).
Tools We Use:
- Python (we also like R)
- Hive, MySQL
- Google Sheets
- Git, Jira
- Jupyter, Luigi
- Pandas, Scikit-learn
Tumblr launched in 2007 with the belief that people need for a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over what they love. Now, 10 years and hundreds of millions of blogs later, we continue to build out Tumblr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection.
From art to music to dank memes to social justice, we’re proud to serve all the subcultures that call Tumblr home, and even more proud of the impact they’ve had the world. No matter what department you work with here, you’ll be working to give our users a voice, and to make that voice heard far and wide.
We know—this sounds like a big task. It is. That’s why we need smart, humble, funny people to keep Tumblr running and growing. We’re big enough to give you the resources you need and still small enough that you can work on things that matter. Come work with us.