Senior Data Scientist
Nielsen is a global measurement and data analytics company that provides the most complete and trusted view available of consumers and markets worldwide. Nielsen has unique measurement technologies, assets, and data that make it one of the most interesting and challenging places for a data scientist to work.
Data Science is core to what Nielsen does, and our research projects have high visibility in directly impacting the results of our business and our clients. This position is in the Panel and Measurement Strategy team within Nielsen's Data Science organization. The Panel and Measurement Strategy team The Panel and Measurement Strategy team leads the approach and research for our current and future panel and audience measurement strategy. Our team provides leadership and expertise across Nielsen to develop innovative, statistically sound, and cost effective audience measurement methodologies in support of the strategic business initiatives.
- Work with cross-functional teams to research, design, implement, and test new consumer and audience measurement methodologies.
- Lead the design and testing of data collection methodologies for Nielsen media panels including measurement of digital, TV and radio.
- Support the research and testing of a new wearable meter and implementation of the new meter into Nielsen panels.
- Lead areas of major cross-functional research projects, including research and analysis of the wearable meter platform and mobile app.
- Analyze data from the wearable meter to understand carry and compliance patterns as well as viewing and listening data.
- Conduct usability research on the wearable meter platform and mobile app. Test the meter platform and app to ensure it meets specifications.
- Author technical proposals, reports, and papers. Present research to internal stakeholders and at research conferences.
- Direct research, planning, and budget for large and small-scale methodology evaluations and tests, including estimating research and development costs for project budgets.
- Balance cost, quality, and schedule requirements to design measurement methods and approaches.
- Manage and analyze complex survey/panel data including developing data files, conducting quality reviews, data editing, documentation, weighting, and imputation.
- Use both qualitative and quantitative methods for research and analysis..
- Correspond and communicate with internal departments and external suppliers regarding complex project requirements and schedules.
- Stay abreast of procedural and technological developments in measurement research methodology and changing technologies in the marketplace. Proactively identify applications of these latest developments to improve current measurement approaches.
- Master's degree or PhD in Social or Behavioral/Social Sciences field such as Methodology, Statistics/Sampling, Social Science or related field or Bachelors with 3+ years research experience.
- Knowledge of panel research methods, including sampling, recruitment and maintenance.
- Knowledge of multiple modes of data collection methods, including in-person, phone and online/mobile, and mixed-mode measurement approaches.
- Creative aptitude and ability and desire to explore opportunities for new research innovations.
- High motivation with demonstrated capacity to work on multiple deliverables and projects with set deadlines, under pressure.
- Collaborative team player with willingness and desire to work with global cross-functional teams of varying sizes.
- Ability to design sound methodologies within cost and operational constraints. Understanding of measurement error in data collection methods with ability to mitigate using cost effective procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required for presenting to and collaborating with groups of diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to explain complex research concepts to individuals without a data or research background.
- Qualitative research and analysis skills (including usability testing, cognitive interviews, in-depth interviews, focus groups, etc.).
- Quantitative research and analysis skills including competence with statistical software (Python or R preferred).
- Experience with Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.).
- Experience with large-scale, complex multi-stage panel methodologies, including panel recruitment and maintenance.
- Experience with wearable and mobile app technologies.
- Proficiency in non-English languages and understanding of multiple cultures.
- Knowledge of advanced cognitive or behavioral methodologies.