Who we are:
MasterClass is transforming online education by enabling anyone in the world to learn from the very best. We are deconstructing what makes an actor able to cry on demand, how an athlete defies gravity, and what it takes to write a bestseller. Our online learning content is available to students anywhere anytime, which supports our mission to ignite the greatness in others.
We are a quickly growing VC-funded startup based in San Francisco, with additional offices in Los Angeles. We have created online classes taught by famous masters— Gordon Ramsay, Serena Williams, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Sara Blakely, David Sedaris, Bobbi Brown, Timbaland, Anna Wintour and many more to come.
Since launching in 2015, we have been growing our team. Apply now to find out more about what we are doing behind the scenes.
Responsibilities of the role:
- Formulate and test hypotheses as well as build innovative predictive models for instructor and content selection, predictive learning, content ranking, and forecasts.
- Own end-to-end data experience, including querying, aggregation, deep analysis, visualization and algorithms; communicate and present findings/actionable insights to audiences at varying levels of technical sophistication
- Partner with various departments (e.g. Product, Engineering, Marketing, Content, etc.) to frame problems, both mathematically and within the business context; to measure, optimize and drive products and business growth and processes
- Design, analyze, and run both simulated and live experiments (A/B and multivariate tests) to drive KPI improvement
- Own concepts, development, maintenance, and communication of data products to deliver business insights
- Continuously improve the quality and accessibility of our analytical capabilities and framework as well as data reporting infrastructure
- Assist in data requirements gathering and data validations to improve data platforms
- Efficiently manage his/her own project queue and develop streamlined workflows
- Masters degree in a related quantitative field (Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Engineering, Physics, Economics). PhDs are preferred.
- 4+ years of relevant working experience in a similar role, preferably for an online content, video, subscription or e-commerce property/platform
- Expert experience with data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python), and statistical/mathematical programming languages (e.g. R)
- Proficiency in using Redshift, PostgreSQL, RDBMS, Hadoop, Spark, or similar technologies
- Expertise with statistical analysis, applying various machine learning techniques, predictive modeling and data mining to solve business problems
- Experience with business intelligence tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau) and web analytics tools (e.g. Amplitude, Google Analytics, Adobe)
- Strategically-minded yet strong detail-orientation
- Proven ability to think creatively, solve problems, learn quickly, work independently, handle ambiguity, and adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Exemplary relationship builder who is consultative in nature and form partnerships with coworkers and customers
- Ability to work full-time in our San Francisco office
- Legally eligible to work in the United States
At MasterClass, we believe we put our best work forward when our employees bring together ideas that are diverse in thought. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. In addition, MasterClass will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability or special need, we would like to know how we can better accommodate you.