Sr. Data Scientist - Data Engineer - 9793
This Senior Data Scientist position will be part of our TV Analytics team within the Data Science, TV Product organization. This team supports many cross-functional teams such as Data Science Product Enhancement, Data Science Methods, Data Science Business Leadership, Product Leadership, Watch Operations, and Client Services. This team also works very closely with AppDev teams to validate production implementations of complex methodology.
Learn and become an expert in Local TV Nielsen knowledge, with a focus on weighting, computations, and enhanced methodologies.
Support analyses for Data Science teams including custom requests, client inquiries, impact of changing methodologies, and standards and best practices.
Learn and become an expert in how big data flows through Nielsen systems in order to create reliable data views that will feed into client inquiry processes.
Work with cross-functional teams to implement and validate enhanced audience measurement methodologies.
Collaboratively create and manage projects from beginning to end; including developing analytical plan, running analyses, and summarizing results while effectively managing expectations with key stakeholders.
Respond to client inquiries: Examine analysis specifications for completeness, determine how to execute the analysis with available data, modify specifications as needed, provide an estimated delivery date, and accurately deliver analyses on time with a summary of the key insights.
Provide oversight and consultation to Data Scientists and Analysts.
Convert existing SAS or C code to Python code and perform quality tests.
Independently write custom Python code.
Detect and address quality escapes.
Pro-actively gather information, as needed, to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Key tasks include – but are not limited to – data integration, automation, examining large volumes of data, identifying trends and being able to understand the methodology to be able to explain said trends, and identifying methodological and process improvements. Other project areas may include representation/sampling, bias reduction, and indirect estimation.
- Preferred Master’s degree in Statistics, Social Science, Operation Research, Mathematics, or Computer Science with outstanding analytical expertise. (Bachelor’s degree with additional experience will also be considered.)
- 3 to 5 years of experience with one or more of the following: python programming, data manipulation, data integration, weighting, sampling, survey or market research, trend or pattern recognition, statistics, data aggregation techniques, automation, or quality assurance.
- Must be proficient with Python, Spark, or Scala.
- Must be proficient in SQL and large-scale databases.
- Must have ability to manipulate, analyze, interpret large data sources, and tell a story from data through analyses
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Must have an aptitude for leadership or mentoring
- Must have ability to work alone and with a team
- Must have critical thinking skills necessary to evaluate results in order to make decisions
- Must have desire to grow as an expert in Local TV Audience Measurement for a long term career
- Must demonstrate intellectual curiosity and persistence to find answers
- Demonstrate interest in Nielsen methodologies, data collection, platforms, research processes and operations.
- Preferred experience with data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau, Spotfire, Microstrategy)
- Preferred proficiency in Unix and one statistical package, SAS or R
- Preferred experience in big data technologies