A Senior Data Analyst is responsible for all steps in the data discovery process; extracting data from the enterprise warehouse, consulting with subject matter experts for data understanding, assessing data quality, analyzing data for trends and anomalies, and drawing conclusions from that analysis. The analyst is expected to collaborate with others and be able to present their findings to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Data Investigation and Extraction – Extracts data from operational systems and reporting databases using advanced SQL through a variety of reporting, data mining, and data management tools. Investigates complex table structures to identify data relationships and the location of required data. Validates accuracy of the results. Stratifies results to provide meaningful insights. Optimizes query performance through SQL tuning.
- Advanced Analytics and Technologies – performs advanced analytics and data management as it pertains to specific job role. For analytics, this includes statistical and predictive analytics, business process mapping, gap analysis, and closed-loop analysis. For technologies, this includes advanced ETL, data modeling, management, quality, metadata, master data management, and strategic planning for effective information delivery methods including ad-hocreports, standard reports, dashboards, scorecards, and data visualizations.
- Work Management – Manages multiple tasks, with the ability to deal with ambiguity and shifting priorities. Communicates status and estimates clearly and timely to management and team members. Documents extraction methods, SQL coding, and reporting criteria to a level consistent with departmental standards. Conduct SQL peer-reviews as needed. Balances recurring reporting needs by transitioning ad-hocreports and analysis into supported reporting tools. Perform data profiling and data cleansing tasks and help identify and troubleshoot data quality issues.
- Customer Relationship – develops strong relationships with customers to understand business challenges and forge a partnering relationship for problem solving. Offers suggestions for improvement and/or further research into data findings or process issues. Clarifies customer requirements, manages expectations, and enhances business systems credibility, transparency, and partnership within Xcel and its vendors.
- Continuing Education – takes a proactive approach to understanding industry and organization-specific business issues. Participates in structured and self-study training courses. Continually improves technical skills and learns new data sources.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or Information Technology or combination of education and related work experience providing equivalent knowledge.
- Five years of related experience and three years experiencerequired in relational databasereporting.
- Ability to understand complex data models, SQL query tools, and Business Objects.
- Ability to understand customer requirements and communicate clearly.
- Must also have experience identifying/developing end-to-end solutions to address changing business needs.
- Solid internal and external network of business and technology professionals at the manager level. Exceptional communication, time management and critical thinking abilities.
- 2-3 years of experience with python (2.7) and big data tools (pyspark, Hive, HDFS).
- Experience collaborating with others on analytics projects.
- Experience gathering requirements for analytics projects.
- Statistical modeling experience a plus.