Wherever you work and whatever role you fill, when you represent the Bridgestone name you know that you are a valued teammate who is part of our larger mission to â€œServe Society with Superior Quality.â€ We start by offering each teammate more than just a salary. We provide formal training, competitive performance incentives, paid vacation and holidays, healthcare packages for full-time and part-time employees, and a 401k plan to help build your future. We believe people can only provide superior service and quality to others when they are allowed to bring their whole selves to work and know they are supported. We believe in championing all perspectives, individuals and teams because we understand the importance of seeing the world and our business through many different lenses. We are building a team as diverse as the world we serve. So, show us what youâ€™re made of. Show us the smart stuff, the tough stuff, the bold, beautiful and brave stuff. Because who you are is what we need. Bridgestone Americas, Inc. is headquartered in Nashville, Tennessee and is the U.S. subsidiary of Bridgestone Corporation headquartered in Japan. Bridgestone Americas and its subsidiaries develop, manufacture and market a wide range of Bridgestone, Firestone and associate brand products to address the needs of a broad range of customers and industries.
The Corporate Services Group of the Bridgestone Americas, Inc. (BSAM) Law Department is seeking an attorney to fill the position of Senior Counsel, focusing on software and information technology related matters. The Corporate Services Group provides transactional legal services and legal/business advice and strategy to all of the functional units of BSAM, including Procurement, IT, Manufacturing, Finance, Treasury, Tax, Credit, Shared Services, Human Resources, Marketing, Communications, and Logistics and Supply Chain Management.
The Corporate Services Group deals with a wide variety of issues and clients.Â The open role of Senior Counsel will have the following responsibilities:
- Serving as lead legal counsel for BSAMâ€™s IT function, as well as being the primary legal support for software and information technology-focused matters of other BSAM functions such as Marketing and Human Resources.Â
- Providing support to BSAMâ€™s R&D function for matters relating to software and information technology, including providing general legal support to BSAMâ€™s technical centers, proving grounds, and research facilities and collaborating with BSAMâ€™s intellectual property team members on co-development agreements, collaboration agreements, and similar transactions. Â
- Collaborating with BSAM business unit attorneys to provide support on vendor contracts, joint ventures, commercial agreements and other information technology matters related to the companyâ€™s growing Mobility Solutions business.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial contracts, with a focus on information technology-related agreements, such as enterprise software license agreements, SaaS agreements, software development agreements, outsourcing agreements, consulting and professional services agreements.
- Coordinating with BSAMâ€™s Information Security and Risk Management teams, Privacy Officer, and other subject matter experts on privacy, information security, intellectual property, and other issues that arise in connection with vendor agreements and other transactions.
- Providing general legal advice to client groups, with an emphasis on the areas of software licensing and development, technology, data security and data licensing.
- Evaluating the needs and goals of clients with respect to a variety of issues, identifying risks, balancing clientsâ€™ needs and goals against risk, and devising a business practical, creative solution for achieving clientsâ€™ goals while minimizing risk.
- Interpreting contract terms and conditions, and advising client as to contract obligations, remedies and options.
- Independently handle and keep track of a large and fluctuating number of matters/projects.Â Must have experience handling projects on a time sensitive basis.
- Advising clients regarding the pre-litigation resolution of disputes with suppliers and service providers including interpreting applicable contract terms and conditions, assessing vendor failures, developing a creative strategy for addressing disputes, advising clients as to options and assisting clients in negotiating a resolution with the third party.
- Efficiently and effectively consulting with and managing outside counsel on issues requiring outside expertise, while doing so in a cost-effective manner.
- Conducting education and training of functional units and other BSAM teammates/employees on a variety of topics including software and information technology concerns, legal processes and procedures, best practices in contract negotiating and other related topics.
- Delegating work to, and managing the work of, a high performing paralegal in the Corporate Services Group, including providing guidance and direction to the paralegal while allowing them independence.
Competencies and Characteristics:
The Corporate Services Group interacts with almost every department and functional group of BSAM and, therefore, we believe that â€œhowâ€ we accomplish our work is as important as â€œwhatâ€ we accomplish.Accordingly, the ideal candidate will exhibit the following competencies and characteristics:
- Humility, patience and diplomacy: the ability to work, communicate and build relationships with BSAM teammates/employees at all levels, ranging from senior leadership to individual contributors.
- An appropriate balance of independence and collaboration: the ability to work independently but recognizing the need to consult others and escalate issues when appropriate.
- An ability to quickly learn new areas and develop new skills in an independent manner.
- The ability to effectively manage client expectations and prioritize demands.
- Solid judgment, including comfort with ambiguity, uncertainty and reasonable risk.
- Flexibility, creativity: the ability to tailor strategies and contract terms to meet the needs of the clients and to address the risks at issue; a desire to be flexible and creative in addressing issuesÂ
- Team player: exhibiting trust in members of the team, communicating and working well with members of the team, sharing in responsibilities of the team, an innate sense of responsibility to those on the team, and commitment to the overall success of the group and BSAM.
- Resourcefulness: an ability and willingness to figure things out, an eagerness to learn about BSAM.
- Business acumen and the ability to measure legal risk, balance risks with business needs, and apply practical legal solutions.
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school
- License to practice law and in good standing in any U.S. state and eligible to be admitted to practice law in the State of Tennessee.
- Seven or more years of professional law practice experience, with significant experience in contract drafting, negotiation and enforcement in the area of software licensing, development and support and other information technology-related transactions.
Regular : Full time