Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
- JOB SUMMARY
Emergent is seeking a Senior Counsel to focus on pharmaceutical, biologic, and medical device contracting issues. This position will provide strategic advice and assistance in the areas of commercial contracts, government contracting, cross-border transactions, international sales, and product distribution issues.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Draft, review, and negotiate commercial contracts, including supply and service agreements, development agreements, research agreements, license agreements, and clinical trial agreements
- Provide support and legal advice on U.S. government and foreign government contracting, including drafting and negotiation support for procurement contracts and subcontracts
- Provide support and assist in the drafting and negotiating of dealer, distribution, and sales agreements for medical countermeasure product sales in the U.S. and internationally
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of agreements in support of the company’s functional groups including procurement, IT, manufacturing, process and analytical development, clinical, material transfer, laboratory services, and others as needed
- Provide general legal advice and support on day-to-day operational issues and significant company-wide matters
- Assist with government contract related due diligence reviews of acquisition targets and the integration of newly acquired companies or contracts
- Prepare and provide occasional training to internal clients
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
- J.D., licensed to practice law in the United States
- Active membership and in good standing in a state bar
- 7+ years of experience in-house, or combination of government, in-house and law firm drafting, negotiating and executing a wide variety of commercial contracts in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Experience in navigating successfully in a highly matrixed global work environment
- Government contracting experience is a plus
- Knowledge of biopharmaceutical industry and manufacturing is required
- Knowledge of FAR, DFARS and other federal agency regulations is desired
- Working knowledge of export law including the Export Control Act and International Traffic in Arms Regulation (ITAR) is desired
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Self-motivated, strong leadership, works well independently on projects, meet aggressive deadlines, handle multiple projects, technical knowledge, business acumen, and excellent communication skills
- Sound conflict resolution skills and ability to work in a collaborative, global environment
- Effective decision making; proven ability to assess and calibrate and effectively communicate legal risks to senior management and others.
- High level of legal innovation and cross functional capacity; ability to lead and think beyond “legal” and to lead cross functional innovative initiatives
- Serve as a senior legal advisor to leadership teams contributing business and legal expertise/guidance to medical countermeasure product development and strategy
- Maintain an enterprise view in developing and delivering legal guidance to client base
- Lead educational sessions for legal group and company
- Ability to advise on risk-based decisions involving significant risk to company reputation and financial risk and to act with a high degree of autonomy and to act globally
- Manage outside counsel as needed
- Team-oriented with a strong sense of humor