Job ID: 15568BR
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
This position provides a broad range of cost-effective, high quality legal services related to Travelers’ Corporate Litigation. Legal services may include: management of litigation and disputes, general legal counseling, support for a broad array of business initiatives, and recognition, analysis and response to emerging issues and trends. This position handles moderately complex to complex legal matters, requiring a solid degree of knowledge and expertise in litigation and ideally, insurance. May supervise legal support staff (non-attorneys).
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides high quality, cost effective legal advice and recommendations for action to business clients regarding moderately complex to complex matters which have or may have a dollar impact on business activities and operations.
- Researches legal principles and precedents within area of specialization or expertise.
- Identifies unique issues in assigned matters and recommends appropriate responses to those issues.
- Proactively identifies and communicates risk to internal and/or external customers and provides recommendations on how to mitigate that risk.
- Responsible for managing outside counsel and advising senior business clients on financially significant and complex matters.
- Drafts, negotiates and executes legal documents.
- Maintains awareness of judicial climate and legal developments through the review of legal publications, on-line documentation and attendance at seminars and conferences.
- Builds and maintains strong internal and external client relationships.
- May act as mentor and coach to less senior attorneys, paralegal/staff; explains issues, ideas and concepts that are incorporated into work assignments.
- Makes effective use of technology and automation in the practice of law.
- Ensures timely submission of work product as required.
- Reviews and approves invoices for retained counsel to ensure appropriate expenses incurred and compliance with corporate retention agreement.
Litigation Specific Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Determine appropriate action on litigation; provide advice on possible outcomes, awards and settlements.
- Prepare and/or review defense positions and legal strategies, engaging and managing counsel as required.
- Prepare and/or review motions, briefs, pleadings, legal documents, correspondence, and memoranda to identify and protect legal interests of the company and/or its insureds.
- Proposes, prepares and responds to and evaluates oral and written discovery.
- Prepares and/or reviews annual legal fees budget for assigned cases. Reviews invoices from outside counsel and recommends adjustments.
- Has frequent, independent contact with clients, clients employees, witnesses, experts and adversaries through counsel.
Claim Specific Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Provides recommendations and case analysis to all business partners on appropriate file handling strategy.
- Adheres to all standards of excellence in file management.
- Other duties as assigned.
Juris Doctorate; graduate of an accredited law school.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Typically has 3 to 10 years of prior legal experience.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
All Enterprise Individual Contributor Competencies (Enterprise Leadership Competencies if position has direct reports) plus: Advocacy: Demonstrates strong lawyering skills. Accurately assesses the degree of legal risk and opportunity in a given situation. While understanding business goals, exercises independent judgment in providing advice and strategic recommendations. Persuasively advocates position. Knowledge of Law: Demonstrates expertise in legal specialty areas. Identifies issues; appreciates interaction between facts and the law; grasps legal complexities. Effectively and accurately researches legal issues. Negotiation: Understands potential exposure, settlement value, corporate risk and opportunity; understands needs and goals of participants; marshals facts and law; uses creativity in developing effective strategy and persuasively presenting the position; and demonstrates flexibility to achieve an appropriate resolution. Trusted Advisor (Legal-specific): Demonstrates excellence in theprovision of legal counsel and advice. Earns trust, confidence, and respect through consistent performance; fosters open and honest communication; shares with department significant court decisions and/or litigation trends; candidly offers ideas, thoughtful feedback and a reasoned point of view. When appropriate, challenges assumptions. Acts with integrity; takes appropriate risks. Ability to present information and advice in a clear, concise, logical and well-organized manner to enable clients to make informed, well-reasoned business decisions. Technology: Uses, leverages, and maintains proficiency with corporate and job-related technology as it evolves (e.g. hardware, software, business unit applications, and systems tools.) Appreciation of Business Context: Knows and understands the business supported and acts on legal issues in the context of business objectives and initiatives. Looks for new and innovative ways to achieve business legal objectives. Continuous Learning: Gains, absorbs and applies new information to identify and address own learning and development needs to keep skills current. Credibility: Demonstrates behavior that causes individual to be perceived as responsible, reliable and trustworthy. Influences Others: Influences others without using formal authority. Is open to being influenced to explore new possibilities. Adjusts own style according to the demands of the situation. Resource Utilization & Management: Identifies and utilizes corporate and outside personnel and sources of information to achieve goals. Uses, takes advantage of, and maintains proficiency with corporate and job-related resources, including technology.
Weekend work hours: Occasionally (0 – 33%) Overnight work hours: Occasionally (0 – 33%) Holiday work hours (Federal and religious): Occasionally (0 – 33%) Travel: Frequently 34 – 66% (For Corporate Legal roles, travelrequirement is occasional 0-33%)
Operates standard office equipment: Continuously (67 – 100%) Lifting items up to 0 – 10 pounds: Occasionally (0 – 33%) Sitting (can stand at will): Frequently (34 – 66%) Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key: Continuously (67 – 100%)
Licensing or Certificates
Admitted to the Bar in good standing.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.