The Senior Controls Engineer applies a working knowledge of engineering fundamentals to the division’s engineering and design activities under the direction of a Principal Engineer, Project Engineer, Staff Engineer, or Project Manager. The Senior Controls Engineer is also required to interact with other ADTECH personnel to provide project-related engineering support including those in QA, Manufacturing, and Procurement. The Senior Controls Engineer may lead or mentor other engineers, designers, and technicians during various project phases. Position involves the design, production support, integration, programming, testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning of ride and show control systems both in the factory and in the field.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Independently performs difficult engineering tasks to completion that may include a variety of complex features, conflicting design requirements, unusual materials requirements, and the need to coordinate the work of others.
- Excellent technical judgment, and appreciable independent evaluation, creativity, and latitude in making decisions are expected.
- Demonstrates ability to devise innovative solutions to problems.
- Manages projects of moderate scope.
- Participate in initial equipment conceptual development and carefully balance product specifications, process requirements, layout complexity, cost, and lead-time limits.
- Lay out new industrial electrical control panels which are NFPA79/NEC/UL508A compliant, and create electrical schematics.
- Architect, write, and debug PLC ladder logic with an emphasis on generating code that is organized, structured, documented, maintainable and reusable.
- Generate aesthetically simple HMI screens for complex machinery while providing sufficient feedback for troubleshooting.
- Manage electrical cabinet builds, field wiring, and installations.
- Select and size electrical and electromechanical components such as servos.
- Establish test plans and control test plan execution
- Debug and optimize automated processes to maximize reliability and uptime.
- Reviews progress and evaluates results of work accomplished by self and others.
- Prepares reports and presents results to management and client.
- The above listed duties are not an all-inclusive list. A big aspect of the Senior Controls Engineer is the requirement for flexibility
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent – Majors in: Controls and Computer Control Systems, Mechatronic Engineering, Automation Engineering, etc.)
- Minimum 5 years direct technical experience in the design, assembly, integration, testing, troubleshooting, commissioning and programming of large scale PLC-based control systems.
- Experience in theme park and attractions environment a big plus.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Advanced proficiency programming industrial equipment:
- Ladder logic PLCs (Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, CompactLogix) and RSLogix 5000
- Safety PLCs (Allen-Bradley ControlLogix, SmartGuard, GuardLogix)
- Proven knowledge of Allen-Bradley Human-Machine Interface (HMI) displays and development software
- Field bus Networks (AB DeviceNet, Ethernet IP, ControlNet, Safety rated field bus networks)
- Serial communication (RS-232) between PLCs and instruments
- Ethernet communications between machine PLCs and database systems
- Proficiency in software development from inception to final acceptance testing.
- Proven knowledge of Variable Frequency Drives and Servo Drives and programming.
- Proven knowledge of National Electrical Code (NEC) and Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL) standards.
- Proficiency in current AutoCAD or equivalent (SolidWorks Electrical, ePlan) CAD programs
- Proven knowledge of Machine Safety standards including EN ISO 13849.
- Proven proficiency in common computer software (Microsoft Word, Excel).
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Candidate will have to perform in an ISO-9001 rated company in a rapidly changing and demanding atmosphere
- Domestic and International travel may be required.