The Controls Engineer will develop automation solutions and participate in various phases of automation projects including creating design specifications, software configuration and testing, as well as commissioning and start-up of a variety of high throughput utility (waste, exhaust, purification, etc.) and automated manufacturing processes. The ideal candidate will have a track record of proficiency with control systems, troubleshooting and high intensity environments. Other responsibilities will include supporting new and existing clients with daily manufacturing automation activities possibly in a staff augmentation role.
- Create and design automation control systems and create project documentation and drawings to meet client requirements.
- Diagnose automation problems and interact with teams, clients and vendors.
- Configure software and hardware packages according to client design specification.
- Program PLCs (Allen-Bradley, Rockwell) and HMI / SCADAs (FactoryTalk, Cimplicity, Wonderware, Ignition)
- Communicate with project stakeholders the progress relative to plan
- Manage engineering projects as assigned
- Manage project deliverables to agreed schedule and scope
- Manage site construction and installation
- Manage site start-up support of integrated control systems
- Validate and commission facility systems following established execution protocols and ensure a successful turnover of the system to the customer.
- 5+ years' of direct experience as a controls engineer working on automated processes/system integration in a High Tech manufacturing environment.
- Experience creating and designing automation controls systems (PLC, SCADA)
- Solid understanding of industrial control panel design and fabrication (UL508A).
- Solid understanding of instrumentation and controls (I&C).
- A solid understanding of engineering documentation such as P&IDs, process flow diagrams and standard operating procedures.
- Experience with field instrumentation, control system installation and configuration.
- Familiarity with machine safety applications, electrical power distribution and control panel design.
- Proficient with written and verbal technical communication including generating reports and conducting group presentations.
- Willingness to travel 40 % to support project installation and start-up activities, attend client meetings, management meetings, company sponsored training and industry related seminars, forums or conventions. Overnight travel may be required.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Mechanical, Chemical Engineering or similar degree preferred
- Associate's degree in a related area or equivalent experience