Des Moines, IA
Industry: Accounting, Finance & Insurance•
11 - 15 years
Posted 108 days ago
JOB SUMMARY: Contributes strategic vision and serves as the top-level contributor and lead for the most complex business transformation initiatives. Responsible for leading major process modeling, analysis, and design efforts. Instrumental in development of compelling business rationale to formulate a basis for transforming the business in alignment with strategic objectives. Provides business performance management, organizational design, and business risk management capabilities to formulate pragmatic, forward facing, and actionable business transformation plans. Solves the most complex business problems by innovative application of technology. Establishes a common understanding of the business environment in which a project (or solution) must be defined, designed, created, deployed, used and supported. Requires highest level understanding of business processes, systems, organizational structure, and industry requirements.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to Director/AVP; no direct reports by may lead project or virtual teams.
1. Serves as the top consultant on all activities relating to business transformation through the strategic application of people, processes, and technology. Participates in the most complex planning process across multiple departments or business units by identifying complexities, dependencies, and redundancies in the business model.
2. Serves as the top consultant on activities and functions relating to business process analysis, organizational analysis, stakeholder needs assessments, and cost/benefit analysis in an effort to align information technology solutions with business strategies and directions. Leads in the planning of business-specific technology plans. Consults with functional groups within IT and internal business clients to develop long-term systems plans.
3. Responsible for organizational business process management and consultation between business customers and systems area for development and implementation of new business processes or modifications to existing processes. Acts as a senior internal business product and process consultant responsible for communicating to customers, management and external sources.
4. Provides senior level consultation responsible for analyzing the most complex business and user needs, definition of business requirements and recommendations regarding appropriate solutions and business strategies. Provide complex business process management and technical consulting and expertise to senior level management to resolve the most complex business problems.
5. Identifies the critical elements of a business process that need to be monitored and managed. Defines criteria of performance success in the context of a specific process and identify, with process owners and stakeholders, what characterizes good, bad or indifferent performance. Selects and applies appropriate performance measurement tools. Reports performance in a way that generates a balanced and rational response from senior and junior management.
6. Serves as the top level contributor for analysis and design of organizational structures, roles, responsibilities, governance, staffing, and sourcing to support business goals, strategies, and process architecture. Responsible for leading organization-wide change such as change in business model, restructuring operations, new technologies, mergers, major collaborations, "rightsizing", new programs such as Total Quality Management, re-engineering, etc.
7. Serves as the top Business Consulting and Analysis consultant who formulates, defines and drafts the most complex systems scope and objectives through research and fact-finding combined with a thorough understanding of business systems and industry requirements. Leads the negotiation of compromises arising from conflicting customer and systems requirements.
8. Top organizational expert regarding training of customers on business, technological, societal, and environmental trends to support strategies for improving business performance with particular emphasis on emerging business practices, technologies, and methodologies that are applicable to the insurance and financial services industry.
9. Top organizational expert in the development, implementation and distribution of strategic solutions and methodologies for a assigned business unit.
10. Accountable for strategic projects involved in evaluating and researching new and existing products, procedures and/or workflow needs associated with business systems for the company. Evaluates new and complex IT developments and evolving business requirements and recommends appropriate systems alternatives and/or enhancements to current systems.
11. Provides the highest technical analysis and consultation on business strategies, business drivers, end-to-end business processes, associated information technology and organizational structures to achieve substantial improvement in business performance and stakeholder value through identification of innovative changes.
12. Recognized as an expert across the organization for procedure modifications to solve complex business problems by the innovative application of technology. Recommends and facilitates quality improvement efforts.
13. Serves as the top-level expert regarding the development of compelling business cases, including gaining senior management buy-in, to accomplish business objectives. Identifies, assesses and mitigates business risks associated with the current operating model and/or desired target state operating models.
14. Acts as a resource for direction, training and guidance for less experienced staff. Assigns responsibility for tasks, sets clear objectives, and monitors progress and results. Monitors project schedules and costs. Develops project plans, work breakdown structures, and deliverables for overall solution delivery.
15. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate studies in computer science, management information, business, mathematics or related field is strongly preferred. Graduate studies are highly preferred. Significant insurance related studies gained by technical insurance designation is preferred.
Knowledge: Must have expert knowledge of standards, best practices, methodologies, and frameworks associated with the insurance/financial services industry, business process management, and the IT discipline. Must have expert knowledge of a wide variety of tools, concepts, and techniques of business process modeling, analysis, and design. Knowledge of emerging industry, competitor, customer demography, regulatory, and market trends as they relate to insurance, reinsurance, and related financial services industries. Understanding of new technologies and developments in the technology industry and their application to the Nationwide environment. Must have expert knowledge of the systems development life cycle. Extensive knowledge of project management concepts and techniques are required. Comprehensive knowledge of facilitation, performance management, organizational design, and organization change management. Knowledge of finance, accounting, valuation, metrics development, and statistical analysis a plus.
Experience: Ten years of progressive experience in planning, designing and implementing enterprise-wide business transformation initiatives. Extensive experience in functional, process, information, and data modeling, data management and warehousing, and applications integration. In-depth experience with process re-design methods (e.g., BPR, Six Sigma, TQM) and tools (e.g., Popkin, Proforma, IDS Scheer, Computas, MEGA) Five years of experience in project management is preferred.