This position supports GuideWell in its desire to become a more knowledge driven company. The purpose of this position is to collect and analyze data and information about customers, markets, and the environment to develop and provide fact-based strategic competitive and market insights to senior management in order that senior management may make informed decisions about future strategic initiatives. Analyze competitor's current competitive positioning as well as future plans to compete. Provide insight into the impact of external influences (economic, regulatory, political and demographic) that affect the market and enhance our ability to differentiate GuideWell and to strengthen our competitive advantage. This position will discern the needs, conduct the research, manage the studies, analyze the resulting information, synthesize the appropriate key findings and share the findings at all appropriate levels throughout the organization. This position will act as a lead among the Competitive Intelligence team and will independently lead and manage workload.
Consulting on Market and Competitive Intelligence
- Define, develop and provide information and analyses to guide and facilitate clients' decision-making processes and provide leadership for business planning efforts; directs research and analysis to quantify business opportunities and issues, develop formal recommendations, and effectively communicate recommendations to executives, senior leaders and managers.
- Work with internal customers to facilitate innovative thinking and to generate research/analytic methodologies to meet business needs.
- Establish excellent and collaborative business partner relationships.
- Consults with senior leaders and business partners to ensure actions are taken based on research results.
- Subject matter expert on all of the company’s competitive intelligence toolset, as well as third-party surveys.
- Ability to independently conceptualize and develop thoughtful and in-depth analysis.
- Represent the department and develop market assessments in intra-departmental projects with limited supervision.
- Strong awareness of how to position data to ensure proper context, use a wide array of data sources all leading to insightful conclusions and implications in a compelling and visual format.
- Asses broad industry-wide trends and themes and is capable of representing the IMI team at BCBSA and industry events.
- Lead market assessment deliverables across the IMI team with limited supervision.
- Lead in conjunction with IMI leadership, to help vet new vendors and assess performance of existing vendors.
- Develops and leverages relationships with the BCBSA and peer Blue plans to support key deliverables.
Identifies and promotes business opportunities based on market and customer needs.
- Defines associated project budget and deliverables.
- Facilitates meetings with executive and senior leadership to communicate analysis and understanding of data.
- Assists in the review, design and execution of market analysis methodology.
- Has frequent contact with internal and external business partners to obtain and share information on which to base decisions and provide advice and counsel.
- Clearly understands the strategic direction of organization and business unit, processes, workflows, reflect monthly or quarterly activities, measure programs, products or system efficiencies.
Present data and analysis generated by the department to internal and external clients.
- Apply an understanding of business processes to appropriately scope and design research/market analysis.
- Apply the appropriate methodologies available within the Competitive Intelligence discipline and stays current with research developments
- Apply knowledge of intelligence collection processes and techniques to achieve appropriate and reliable outcomes.
- Lead projects and discussions with larger multi-function teams and people.
- Effectively summarizes and concludes results and help business clients identify opportunities for their use.
- Effectively manage resources by providing leadership and direction of project resources to ensure timely project completion, goal achievement, and customer satisfaction.
- Identify, develop, recommend, and support the implementation of process, procedure and improvements of research initiatives for efficiencies in order to meet and exceed Marketing Plan goals and objectives
- Act as peer-leader for broader Competitive Intelligence team, providing guidance, coaching and input to final work products.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 8+ years related work experience or equivalent combination of transferrable experience and education
- Has a high tolerance for ambiguity and is adept at seeking guidance as needed. Ability to quickly adapt to requests for changes in the scope or content of key deliverables
- Practices active listening and is able to communicate succinctly across the organization
- Capable of thought leadership and leading a discussion with the senior executives at the company
- Strong background in SWOT analysis, Porter model of competitive, Marketplace and industry assessment.
- Demonstrated critical and analytical thinking skills
- Demonstrated skills and the ability to understand marketplace dynamics and their relevancy and implications to GuideWell business strategy.
- Proven leadership and supervisory experience
- Financial analysis and research proficiency
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to act in a consultative rote with business leaders throughout GuideWell
- Capable of developing welt structured presentations.
- Excellent PC based software skills (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint), as well as analytical, benchmarking, problem solving, coordination, planning, and project and vendor management skills.
- Must demonstrate ability to initiate and implement change and to set focused, actionable objectives that are results oriented
- Proven track record in delivering results, anticipating the market and offering strategic counsel based on consumer feedback and insights.
- Candidates must have excellent interpersonal skills, be able to package results and present ideas clearly and persuasively and be highly motivated, innovative and creative.
- Must be able to interact at all levels of the organization, and build successful collaborative business relationships with consultants, focus group participants and vendors.
- A strong customer commitment and commitment to excellence.
- Advanced critical and analytical thinking skills.