REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: Reports to AVP; No direct reports.
CORE JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts detailed research on all aspects of the surety underwriting market segment to help make policy and practice decisions. Gathers information from multiple sources according to company guidelines, in order to perform underwriting analysis. May require gathering verbal information or data through reports or other electronic means.
- Analyzes performance of portfolio as well as individual account performance and develops appropriate action to drive growth based on analysis. Evaluates the largest and most complex underwriting risks in the assigned market segment.
- Supports the contract surety underwriting program by providing guidance and support. Develops and maintains contract surety underwriting guide and makes changes when necessary. Prepares files for review by Surety officer for accounts outside of NSF authority limits or reinsurance treaty exceptions.
- Manages underwriting processes of regional office staff, developing and implementing best practices, seeking continuous process improvement and efficiency gains.
- Manages underwriter authority statements, recommending authority levels to AVP.
- Tracks monthly production activity to provide DWP growth estimates to leadership.
- Helps develop state expansion plans, including rate filings, system availability and agent segmentation and appointment process.
- Leads annual agent segmentation process to help identify Premier and Partner agents to help develop underwriter focus and create individual marketing plans.
- Supports directors with underwriting activities, providing guidance and support. Leads underwriting file audits, reporting findings and suggestions to directors and AVP.
- Provides support for annual production goals by region and state. Participates in annual budget forecasting.
- Works with P&C sales and underwriting groups to align strategies to support enterprise growth.
- Provides industry updates; including competitive intelligence, recent court cases, and shares with underwriting teams. Suggests and implements changes to underwriting philosophy based on changes in market conditions.
- Develops and maintains open and effective communications with leadership, other underwriting management, sales/agents, and other field/home office operations on a formal and informal basis. Travels with staff to deepen relationships with key agents and large accounts.
- . Assists in setting operational expectations, goals, and strategies. Ensures appropriate service levels are achieved and provides guidance when necessary. Follows up on and ensures proper handling of escalated customer service requests. Assists in the development and communication of NSF Value Proposition. Helps develop marketing materials for agent visits and conventions.
- Works in partnership with underwriting leaders to develop and manage the training of associates to ensure a high degree of competency and professionalism. Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Undergraduate degree in business administration, insurance, risk management, economics or finance preferred.
License/Certification/Designation: Actively pursuing of AFSB, CPCU or other related insurance certification desired.
Experience: Ten years experience in contract surety underwriting including at least five years management or consultant experience.
Knowledge: Commercial Surety & Fidelity Products, credit/collections, rating, and related functions; and surety customer environment and markets. Also requires extensive knowledge of surety underwriting best practices, field underwriting operations, and day-to-day underwriting operational needs. Familiarity with other lines of business preferred.