The primary purpose of the Compliance Specialist position is to support the implementation and management of the Ethics and Compliance program. This individual will execute the activities that ensure our operations are compliant with applicable laws, regulations and standards, good business practices and company documented procedures. This position requires the incumbent to manage multiple projects, deadlines and outcomes.
- Assist in the development of compliance presentations, policies and procedures, and databases by using relevant tools as required (e.g., Microsoft Office).
- Assist with internal and external oversight, annual enterprise and other specific risk assessments, and monitoring of the organization's business operations
- Serve as subject matter expert and provide guidance to business unit personnel upon request.
- Conduct compliance audits and communicate findings to business unit leadership to ensure any identified issues are resolved.
- Maintain an inventory of all internal and external requirements and monitor for changes in current laws and regulations.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships through individual contacts and group meetings across the organization.
- Create and deliver training and communication content to support department workplan and objectives.
- Coordinate data and metrics for ongoing reports to leadership and the board of directors.
- Manage the internal hotline and case management systems. Conduct compliance and privacy investigations, track follow-up actions to completion, and monitor for trends.
- Support the activities of all department committees by keeping minutes and following-up on outstanding items
- Maintain all privacy program documentation and coordinate breach response activities when needed
Supervision Received by Employee
The Senior Compliance and Privacy Specialist will report directly to the Manager, Compliance and Risk. The employee must be self-directed and able to work independently with minimal supervision. This position requires a high, consistent and frequent degree of team involvement to ensure efficiency, consistency, seamlessness and optimum performance.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working in a compliance organization and/or healthcare organization.
- Knowledge of Local, State and Federal laws and regulations pertaining to managed care and/or healthcare services.
- Possess excellent decision-making abilities and judgement to determine the appropriate courses of action and subsequent follow-up.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Ability to provide effective consultation, education and training to others.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive and effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to understand and interpret complicated written material and verbal presentations.
- Proficient in adapting to changing situations and efficiently alternating focus between tasks to support multiple departmental demands as dictated by business needs.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Relevant compliance and/or privacy certification preferred
Required Education, Training and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college or university
- Five (5) years of directly related work experience assisting in designing, implementing and training on compliance programs or equivalent combination of education and experience in compliance roles ideally for companies in the healthcare/life sciences industry.
- An equivalent combination of years of experience and/or education will be considered on a case by case basis
- Relevant compliance and/or privacy certification
This is an office-based position which often requires long hours of sitting and working in front of a computer, utilizing computer technologies. This position will have some periodic travel to other Cardinal Innovations Healthcare sites within North Carolina for business meetings (~15%). Professional business attire is required. Cardinal Innovations reserves the right to call upon this employee during non-business hours as needed to meet the demands of the position.