Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts, and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
The Senior Privacy Compliance Manager is part of Unum’s Compliance – Privacy Practices organization and is responsible for leadership, governance, and oversight of privacy program.
These responsibilities include risk mitigation/management of the ways in which personally identifiable and personal health information (PII and PHI) is collected, used, shared, assessed and retained by and for Unum. The privacy program helps ensure appropriate use of PII/PHI and that appropriate security of that data is maintained. Includes mitigating operational risks, establishing processes to ensure all PII/PHI is inventoried, assessing that privacy and third-party risks are appropriately managed, and ensuring privacy incidents are handled timely and in accordance with the law.
A Senior PrivacyCompliance Manager isresponsible for driving activities thatsupport the identification, analysis, mitigation, management, andreporting of privacyrisk and related policies and operations. In addition, the Sr. PrivacyCompliance Manager identifies emerging trends in privacyriskmanagement/mitigationand participates in the implementation of programs that help to ensure or improve the effectiveness of Unum’s Privacy Program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform complex project planning and management/implementation and reporting
- Develop, implement and manage workflow process and measures and ad hoc reporting tosupport key compliance initiatives
- Streamline and manage reporting to establish effective reporting
- Assists with responsibility for responding to regulatory investigations/audits and sensitive compliance projects
- Direct and partner with senior management to improve and build data to effectively manage projects, trends and initiatives for global compliance and regulatory affairs
- Develop, implement and monitor programs to prevent, detect and correct compliance issues
- Make broad recommendations on improving compliance related processes and/or procedures; partner with management to implement solutions and generate savings
- Facilitate productivity improvements needed to support compliance programs
- Oversee risk identification, evaluation and assist with risk mitigation, and for coordinating with other business areas in addressing compliance risks
- Provides strategic coaching, leadership, training and expertise to the business/staff areas on compliance and regulatory requirements, coordinating across multiple segments, subsidiaries and product lines.
- Serve in leadership role on department and compliance initiatives working closely with management and peers
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Identify and recommend appropriate measures and controls to manage and mitigate privacy risks at a level acceptable to the senior management of the company.
- Support risk-based decision making through the use of data models, privacy risk controls, matrixes and predictive trend analysis.
- Bachelor’s Degree required or equivalent business experience
- Minimum 5+ years regulatory experience and/or working in the legal environment
- Extensive technical skills – Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Strong/proven knowledge of business processes and structure within an insurance environment
- Proven ability to research various areas and gather relevant information and positively impact project delivery with solution recommendations and implementation
- 8+ years demonstrated strength in project management, experience working on process improvement and ability to manage multiple, conflicting priorities
- Expert verbal and oral communication ability
- Expert organization skills for documentation and other aspects of position
- Extensive experience for successful partnering with areas outside own department
- Extensive ability to resolve issues/conflict and negotiate and facilitate with project groups with proven experience driving group to successful completion
- Expert ability to perform analysis, resolve problems and appropriate recommendations for solutions