The American Chemical Society (ACS) is the world’s largest scientific society and one of the world’s leading sources of authoritative scientific information. Chartered by Congress in 1937, ACS is a nonprofit organization with more than 150,000 members worldwide. ACS is at the forefront of the evolving worldwide chemistry enterprise and the premier professional home for chemists, chemical engineers and related professions around the globe. We are dynamic and visionary, committed to “Improving people’s lives through the transforming power of chemistry.”
The Human Resources Division is responsible for developing and implementing human resources strategies and programs for the ACS. Human Resources provides operational and strategic resource support to all divisions with staffing, recruitment, employee relations, performance management, benefits administration, compensation administration, training and organization development, and succession planning. The customer base is diverse, including current, former and potential employees, management business partners, American Chemical Society members, and outside vendors. The HR team directly serves over 700 Washington, DC affiliated employees and over 1200 Columbus, Ohio affiliated employees. In addition to the Washington, DC and Columbus, Ohio locations, there are otherlocations in the United States as well as Great Britain and Asia.
This position designs, develops and implements compensation programs, policies and procedures for the ACS in partnership with senior management, management and employees. As such, s/he recommends, develops and implements compensation programs, policies and procedures for the employee population, including Executive-level employees. The incumbent ensures that programs, policies and procedures comply with legal requirements and meet the Society’s strategic objectives related to human resources. The incumbent reports to the Director, Total Rewards.
- Recommends, develops and implements compensation programs, policies and procedures in partnership with senior management, management, and employees; considers financial and human resources required to develop and implement policies and programs.
- In partnership with HR Business Partners, advises managers and employees on interpretation of policies, programs, and individual treatments related to compensation.
- Responsible for research, recommendations and development of new, and improvements to current, compensation programs, policies and procedures, including those that reduce costs and improve delivery.
- Responsible for preparation and maintenance of surveys, records and reports related to compensationstatistics/metrics; and ongoing summaries and analyses of data. Responsible for benchmarking of compensation programs/data to determine the competitiveness of ACS programs.
- Writes communications materials to support programs, including staff memos, special presentations, booklets, etc. and policies.
- Keeps up-to-date on legislation and regulations affecting programs; ensures compliance with legal provisions and reporting requirements.
- Assists the Director, Total Rewards on preparing the appropriate documentation for the Executive Compensation Committee, including the meeting’s agenda, the minutes and background materials. Work with External Consultants engaging them on the pricing of new Executive Positions/Roles.
- Develops the process to create and prepare job descriptions, job evaluations and annual objective goals. This position establishes salary structures, develops salary budgets, and prepares policies and procedures to ensure the achievement of equitable and competitive employee compensation and rewards.
- Responsible for the compensation management process across the HR System including the development of manager and employee guidelines and the communication process to engage management and employees on merit planning throughout ACS. In addition, this position identifies business user’s requirements in our systems and prepares the technical requisition for the Director, HRIS.
- College degree or equivalent experience; usually has an advanced degree (relevant field) or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of related experience in compensation
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and handle multiple talks with great attention to detail
- CCP or similar certification preferred
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills preferred