We are looking for a Senior BI Cloud Architect to own the BI technical roadmap for migrating our BI platform and user community from on premise BI technology into AWS. In addition, they will be tasked with understanding stakeholder needs, helping the team define and implement a technology solution suitable for meeting current and upcoming needs, while conforming to evolving non-functional requirements. This role is part of an agile team, focusing on design decisions that must be made now to support future growth and stability. This role includes hands-on coding, defining, and implementing architectural patterns, work planning and organization, and is held accountable for implementing key milestones within the technology roadmap.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the solution architecture design to deliver value quickly and balance structural integrity to match the desired business value and service level agreements. Functions as the engineering expert for architecture, delivering solutions, and owning complex areas of our business.
- Leads agile squad to deliver corporate initiatives based upon the enterprise strategy. Builds, drives, and financially accountable for project plan along with ability to influence multiple business domains at the Director and VP level.
- Indirectly influences IT architects and directors outside of BI to incorporate foundational needs into Linux, Windows, Security, Hosting departments for the purposes of BI.
- Directly responsible for planning and directing operations of multiple Reporting (SAS, MicroStrategy, Microsoft BI), Data Warehouse (Redshift, Netezza, SQL Server) and Big Data (Hadoop, Domino Data Labs, EMR, Athena) Platforms.
- Provide consulting, analysis, and task management for development resources on the team.
- Hands-on development of solutions to meet enterprise and team business intelligence (BI), data warehousing, big data, and reporting requirements.
- Provide assistance and conduct complicated walk-throughs of technical and operational features, functions, and attributes.
- Develop and maintain models and documentation necessary to describe how the system does what it is intended to do.
- Ensure infrastructure and application integrity, optimal performance, and maximum service availability by designing and implementing a combination of development and operational toolsets.
- Understand how to measure application and system performance and availability and ensure that internal, external and vendor development is done in a way that allows accurate capture and reporting.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to technical team members on architecture solutions, best practices, and standards; coach, mentor and develop junior technical talent in the organization.
- Resolve complicated systems software support issues.
- Actively participate with an enterprise architecture group in developing strategy and managing application portfolios; drive current and future state BI architecture.
- Develop and maintain principles, best practices, patterns, guidelines, standards, methods, techniques, and models for BI architecture.
- 10+ years of hands-on experience with 2 of the following BI disciplines: Data Warehousing, Data Management, Big Data, Cloud or Reporting.
- 10 years of hands-on SQL experience with the ability to write complex SQL statements while leveraging optimal code hygiene practices.
- 5 years designing and delivering production applications on Big Data technologies (Map/Reduce, Tez, Spark, etc.) by leveraging one of the following types of languages Python, Java, or Scala.
- 5 years building rock solid relational databases solutions along with designing, implementing, testing, migrating, deploying, and managing ETL solutions: Core functional ETL processing (extract transform, and load).
- Understanding of data science Machine Learning and AI techniques and how to optimize processes within a Big Data Ecosystem.
- Active understanding of available APIs along with optimization of applications leveraging them.
- Knowing when and how to leverage NoSQL data stores, messaging or pub-sub queuing systems and data processing frameworks.
- Proven analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills and ability to communicate well even to non-technical users
- Experience building solutions that last the test of time by leveraging advanced testing techniques and implemented proper audits, alerts, and notifications that proactively measures failures before they happen.
- Be passionate about learning and teaching new methods and practices.
- Proven ability to work autonomously or in a team setting while mentoring your best practices to others.
- Cloudera, Databricks, EMR, Redshift, Snowflake or AWS Cloud experience a plus.