The Sr. Category Solutions Merchant willbe responsible for the development and the execution of the strategic category plan for multiple departments. They will oversee the channel strategy, vertical engagement, store optimization, offer development and the go to market strategy. Must understand customer needs, enabling them to provide solutions by segment including vertical execution to maximize customer spend. Will develop new products, services and solutions to fill gaps within the assortment. Partners with Senior Director, Product & Service Solutions (Sr. Director) to develop 1-3 year strategy plans for categories by customer type for assigned categories. Strategies will have meaningful impact the company income and profitability streams.
Works with the Sr. Director in the establishment and execution of the necessary category plans, strategies and tactics to deliver the sales, margin and inventory objectives supporting the solution strategy. Promotes the objectives to which the Assortment Optimization Specialist, Private Brand, Finance, Solution Insights and Product Optimization Specialist operate.
This role requires a comprehensive understanding all current and future paths to purchase. Necessitating knowledge of key drivers including:
- Retail store format optimization and brick & mortar shopping experience
- Web dynamics, digital marketing impacts, and mobileexperience
- Contract B2B sales motion, pricing strategies and vertical / customer segmentation.
Responsible for people management, leadership and development of team and has significant influence in the mentoring and coaching across merchandising professional staff.
Interacts extensively with executive C-suite level professionals both internally and externally.
- Identifies new vendors and new products/services that support targeted customer needs and aligns with the strategic category plan.
- Establishes, plans and implements all programs to achieve sales, gross margin and grow market share.
- In partnership with Sr. Director, develops and executes strategic category plan. Leads the communication of the category plan cross-functionally.
- Reviews and utilizes vendor scorecards to manage vendor relationships.
- Works with Financial Forecasting and Solution Analyst to gauge the effectiveness of the category strategy in relation to goals.
- Creates and implements sound vertical and channel strategy in line with the overall solution strategy.
- Hands off vendor strategy to Assortment Management to build out micro and vertical assortments as well as overall assortment.
- Hands off to Product Optimization to ensure effective pricing and promotion across all channels leveraging best price and placement.
- Develops one or more direct reports, including preparation for increased responsibilities, coaching, performance management, and long-term career planning.
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.A. / B.S.)in Business, Merchandising, Operations, Finance
- Minimum 7 + experience (4+ years progressive merchandisingexperience and 4 years managerial)
- Preferred 4+ years of hands-on experience negotiating contractual agreements in an international business environment; 3+ years marketing/product development. Financial evaluationexperiencerequired
- Follow market trends. Use this knowledge to supportinternal customers, reduce costs and develop sourcing strategies.
- Evaluate the financial aspects and key cost drivers of global markets using published industry data and internal ODP spend data, develop analysis and apply procurement strategy development.
- Conduct benchmarking and industry assessments to identify best practices and implement successfully within ODP and culture
- Advanced negotiating skills.