A Day in the Life
As Sr. Category Manager within the Restorative Therapies Group (RTG) at Medtronic, your primary focus will be responsible for developing and executing tactical and strategic commodity plans. This individual will lead category strategy, cost reduction initiatives, on-time delivery, quality, supplier performance, supplier consolidation/rationalization, and improve on vendor relationships. The position allows for vast and varied exposure across multiple disciplines and business units.
This role is to lead the Plastics and Polymers Commodity that includes but not limited to injected molding, extrusion, thermal forming, and resins. A majority of components in this category are single sourced and in a highly regulated environment. This position requires strong negotiation skills, technical aptitude, and strong relationship building skills. Many managed components in the commodity category are highly engineered and regulated. A successful Sr. Category Manager in this position will understand the industry and category environment, identify, and develop strategies that can leverage supplier’s capabilities and Medtronic’s purchasing power at a global scale.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
• Advocate on behalf of supply management function with business units and operational partners to ensure support for core business objectives.
• Negotiate contracts that provide year-over-year benefits in performance.
• Identify and develop business cases for a healthy year-over-year of cost reduction pipeline with suppliers through lean, should costing, process improvement, tier 2 strategies, and yield improvements.
• Perform market analysis in identifying best cost country sourcing of said category, provide guidance to technical sourcing and engineering with supplier innovations, and proactively develop forward buy agreements where appropriate.
• Define and manage winning category strategies and approaches with suppliers.
• Manage vendor relationships and drive year-over-year performance improvements with quality, delivery, costs.
• Lead regular business reviews with suppliers.
• Analyze received quotations, select or recommend new suppliers.
• Rationalize existing supplier base through stratification, market analysis, supplier development, and supplier consolidation.
• Lead new and on-going supplier audit activities to ensure the supply base has robust process controls and capabilities to meet existing and future Medtronic business requirements.
• Conduct supply chain risk reviews.
• Act independently to prescribe methods and new approaches on new and special assignments.
• Support goals and objectives as established by management.
• TRAVEL: Frequent travel to vendor locations is required- domestic and international up to 40%.
Must Have Minimum Qualifications (to be considered):
Requires a University Degree and minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience
Nice to Have
• Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain or Engineering, or relevant experience in supply chain management.
• 10+ years of supply chain experience in a manufacturing environment.
• Highly skilled in developing and executing on negotiation strategies with strong organization and collaboration skills.
• Technical and commercial knowhow of commodity market trends and manufacturing process technologies of the category.
• Skilled in developing category strategies, contract reviews, lean manufacturing, business case development, Best Cost Country (BCR) sourcing experience, and product/process transfer/change requirements in a regulatory environment, with strong presentation skills.
• Experience using lean methodology processes in a manufacturing environment is a plus.
• Experience in a low volume and high mix demand for products environment.
• Negotiation, analytical and problem solving skills.
• Good organization, project management and follow-through skills.
• Ability to prioritize, multitask and act in a proactive manner.
• Microsoft, Excel, Analytics, and SAP experiencepreferred.