The Senior Business Systems Analyst (Sr BSA) is familiar with a wide variety of business concepts, practices, and procedures as they relate to IT and general insurance company operations; s/he relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish project goals. The Senior Business Systems Analyst plans and facilitates the elaboration of requirements and creates detailed specification documents on complex IT initiatives; conducts needs and gap analyses; collaborates with others for system design; and supports IT partners to increase productivity and reduce costs for a variety of business units. The Sr. BSA also collaborates with a Project Manager to manage the project scope.
- Use Cases
- Data analysis and SQL (intermediate)
- MS Office (Word, Excel, MSProject)
- SDLC - waterfall (required), Agile/SCRUM (desirable)
- BS/BA degree or equivalent experience.
- 6 to 8 years of progressive experience as a Business Analyst, including various requirements gathering techniques and exposure to standard methodologies (Use cases, UML)
- Exposure to large, complex IT projects.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated analytical skills, including aptitude towards problem identification, resolution and comprehension and interpretation of technical procedures. Ability to adapt to and manage change.
- Requirements planning, organization and management skills
- Experience with defining data requirements and comfort with related data activities, including intermediate SQL.
- Interpersonal / relationship building skills with technical and business personnel
- System savvy – e.g., knowledge of web bases applications, ability to analyze data through SQL queries or other such tools, awareness of mainframe technologies and interface techniques.
- Experience with documentation tools e.g., MS Word, Excel, Visio, Snagit, etc.
- Ability to manage work to fixed deadlines, and transparently and concisely report on work progress.
- Ability to direct and manage the work of other BSAs.
- Conducts needs and impact analysis on business requests searching for ways to link programs, processes, and systems throughout the organization to achieve optimal efficiency and reusability. Considers how current organizational programs and systems will be impacted by future development.
- Understands the overall company vision and can relate this vision to specific business and system requirement details.
- Ensures proper planning and execution of requirements activities.
- Facilitates requirements interviews and workshops with project stakeholders, to identify process improvements and system features for complex technical projects, often requiring coordination of multiple functional areas.
- Analyzes and defines user requirements and translates them into clear and concise system requirements.
- Understands and documents process flows to uncover and clarify business requirements.
- Documents data requirements and conducts data analysis for integration and conversion efforts.
- Collaborates with project teams to ensure continuity and traceability across requirements, design, and testing.
- Reviews test and implementation plans and coordinates and supports user acceptance testing.
- Reviews technical training programs and assists with user training when needed.
- Reviews system procedures, guidelines and technical documentation of new systems.
- Fosters and maintains effective collaborative relationships with Business Units and Systems groups, including peer BSAs and User Experience Analysts, Project Managers, Developers and Quality Assurance Analysts.
- Maintains expert level of business functional knowledge and current automated technologies.
- Evaluates new products or systems for applicability to Business Units.
- Initiates and supports process improvement efforts to improve the quality and value of BSA contributions and deliverables.
- Elicits and documents requirements for RFPs as necessary. May assist in evaluation of vendor systems.
- Develops or modifies wireframes in collaboration with a User Experience Analyst.
- Provides guidance to more junior BSAs with respect to all aspects of the job.