The primary task of a Business Relationship Manager is to serve as a liaison between the Information Systems department and all other functional areas in the organization. Therefore, a BRM must possess much knowledge about business practices, processes and IT-related concepts. This individual is accountable of the creation of the specification document that defines the business requirement, making sure the requirement goes thru the demand management process and managing the delivery of the solution to the business. The BRM has significant knowledge in subject matters pertaining to both IT and the business. Builds, owns and nurtures strong relationships and provide value-added communications with Vice Presidents/Directors and their key direct reports.
Works with senior business management to align and understand business strategies and develop plans for each business function. Works with senior business management the IT Strategy to assess and establish priorities on global/regional/local initiatives. Enables IS to know technological expectations from Business side. Allows communications flow among IS and Business.
Responsible (Fulfills the task independently)
- Understand business expectations outlined in the business strategy
- Establish the relationship with the main stakeholders, participating in Regional and Global Functional Forums and having periodical meetings to follow up on agreements
- Build new proposals (initiatives including requirements definition, business impact and financials) and agree on prioritization to build 3-5 years’ roadmaps
- Submit proposals and roadmaps to approval thru the demand management process
- Evaluate the anchoring of the solutions given to the business and validate financial assumptions
- Request business resources to conduct project feasibility analysis
- Identifies opportunities for operational efficiency
- Actively detect and manage business process improvement and decision making support requirements.
Accountable (Fulfills the task by coordinating others efforts)
- Overall solution delivery (project progress)
- Project issue resolution.
- Provides initial project estimates for cost-benefit analysis.
- Supports projects towards desired technology strategies.
- Release versioning prioritization per business needs.
- Service Level Agreement (SLA) negotiations
Consultant (Advises on the task)
- Participates in technology aspects of business-sponsored
- Evaluate project objectives
- Project prioritization
- New business initiative analysis
- New value added IT proposals for Business
- Capture value added opportunities in Business to handle them with technology
- Actively promote business process improvement and sustainability in alignment with enabling IT capabilities.
Informed (Is advised on the task)
- Gains understanding of business strategies.
- Stays abreast of industry trends in the business and technology.
Project Portfolio – Demand Management
- Works with senior business managers to assess and establish priorities on business IT initiatives.
- Upload and track initiatives on PPM tool throughout demand management process.
- Analyze business Country Project Portfolios ensuring alignment with Global / Regional Strategy.
- Challenge and improve alignment of the business requirements with the regional or global template that will be delivered by the Demand Management Process.
- Ensure consistency and accuracy of reported budget numbers.
- Ensure accomplishment of planned budgets.
Monthly IS Budget follow up.
- Ensure appropriate communication of project progress, changes, next steps and milestones to the country and the Global BRMs (BPLs).
- Propose the appropriate changes for BRM IT Organization in line with the performance and planning reviews to IT Directors.
- Ensure understanding of proper best practices, standards and guidelines that apply to the business.
- Assist the business during the tracking of benefits after projects implementation.
- Work collaboratively with the IS supply organization to ensure alignment of IS demand and supply for the business areas and oversee the delivery of related IS initiatives.
- Responsible for managing the project/initiative.
- Responsible for accomplishing the project objectives within the constraints of the project. Responsible for the outcome (success or failure) of the project.
- Involved with the planning, controlling and monitoring, and managing and directing the assigned project resources to best meet project objectives.
- Controls and monitors “triple constraints”—project scope, time and cost (quality also) — in managing competing project requirements.
- Collects metrics data (such as baseline, actual values for costs, schedule, work in progress, and work completed) & reports on project progress and other project specific information to stakeholders.
- Responsible for identifying, monitoring, and responding to risk, issues and dependencies.
- Manage project deliverables in line with the project plan.
- Work closely with users to ensure the project meets business needs.
- Resolve cross-functional opportunities at project level
Strategic Focus – Assigned Business Area
- Ensures business priorities are communicated to IS community.
- Enable Communication of IT Strategies to Country Leaders.
- Provides strategic consultancy support to assigned customers in filtering, defining or designing business processes and requirements.