General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) is a supplier of advanced electromagnetic systems, related power equipment and other high technology products for a variety of government and commercial applications. These include products such as the design and fabrication of linear motors, superconducting and conventional rotating motors, power inverters, high-energy capacitors, radiation monitoring systems, high-voltage direct current power distribution systems, and numerous other products.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Sr. Business Development and Strategic Planning Manager to join our Electromagnetic Systems (EMS) Group located in Rancho Bernardo, CA.
This position reports to the Director, Business Management and is responsible for all aspects of business forecasting and all aspects of preparation of offers to customers for new business. Manages the design, development, and implementation of a comprehensive forecasting approach. Leads the team for the development and preparation of proposals, and ensures that proposal and planning activities are successfully implemented and meet overall objectives and required regulatory standards while improving efficiency. Oversees the Group’s discretionary accounts and ensures strategic vision of the group is represented in realistic forecasts. Objectives may be accomplished through management of subordinates and other functional departments. May represent the company/unit(s) with customers and government representatives. May be responsible for decisions that have a serious impact on outcomes, possibly effecting schedules and/or expenditure of time, resources and funds.
This role adds a forecasting analysis component to GA-EMS business, working with Strategic Development, Program Office, Finance, Program Controls, and Cost Engineering to review each program and/or opportunity. Analyzes what was done well and areas to improve, and works within the group to determine the appropriate corrective action. Ensures consistency in reporting, especially as it relates to the Business Operating Plan and the Integrated Resource Management Plan (IRMP) to predict future business.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Senior level oversight of the Proposal Management Department and the Cost Engineering Department to ensure all opportunities are prepared in accordance procedures and an accurate reflection of scope of work, cost and schedule performance, and any market and/or business conditions.
- Works with Strategic Development Group to review business pipeline and anticipate which opportunities will become proposals and contracted work.
- Owner of Business Development procedures for compliance, consistency across many products/contract types, and continuous improvement.
- Development and management of key quality metrics for process tracking and reporting to managing.
- Resource manager and mentor of the business development team
- Ensure business excellence is maintained by participating in the planning, attraction, selection, retention, and development of the required professional talent.
- May act as primary contact with managers and customers concerning projects, operational decisions, scheduling requirements, or contractual clarifications, and may conduct briefings and financial updates for internal and external representatives.
- Maintain the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Ensure compliance with company financial policies and accounting practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a Bachelors or Masters in business administration, finance, or a related field, along with thirteen or more years of progressive project administration experience with at least seven of the years managing those operations in an engineering or scientific environment. May substitute equivalent experience in lieu of education.
- An MBA in finance or accounting is desired.
- Must demonstrate a detailed application of industry and government financial management principles and practices as well as comprehensive financial leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones.
- Must be able to resolve complex management and financial problems, and serve as spokesperson on projects and/or programs.
- Experience in manufacturing, preferably in heavy industry and defense is desired.
- Strong analytical skills, documentation skills, collaboration and people skills.
- Capable of interfacing objectively with people at all levels and all functions within the organization including Sales, Operations, Contracts, Finance, Program Management, Senior and Top Corporate Management.
- Thorough understanding of manufacturing statistical control, return cost analysis, performance metrics, and KPIs.
- Ability to design executive level reports for decision making purposes.
- Must have experience in successfully managing a team of individuals.
- Propricer, ERP and CRMexperience is preferred.
- Strong communication, leadership, presentation, and interpersonal skills are preferred.
- Ability to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment, and able to work extended hours and travel is preferred.
Job ID#: 21884BR