At Illumina, we are innovating and creating the world's most advanced DNA sequencing instruments and consumables. A critical part of the development process for these is creation of advanced testing tools used to develop and prototype new methods of sequencing. These tools, called breadboards, incorporate all the major functions of a DNA sequencer in a flexible platform that can be utilized for a multitude of experiments and testing.
The Senior Breadboard Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for conceiving, designing, and implementing complex breadboard systems utilized in development of DNA sequencing subsystems across the product lifecycle from concept to production. Test systems cover both instrument and consumables and span opto-mechanical, fluidic, precision motion, and thermal sub-systems.
This role requires not only depth in Mechanical Engineering, but also breadth of experience across adjacent disciplines as required to support design of complex electro-mechanical test fixtures. The successful candidate also has strength in test and measurement, especially in defining the required accuracy, precision, repeatability, and reproducibility of a measurement system. The role involves hands-on integration of test systems, therefore the candidate must have strong problem solving skills and the passion to climb learning curves when new challenges present themselves.
Additional responsibilities include contributing to system architecture designs, as well as developing test strategies for critical parameters, reliability and verification testing.
- Lead electro-mechanical design of complex breadboard systems.
- Design and develop optomechanical test systems to characterize critical parameters, quantify system sensitivities, and determine physics of failure processes over operational environments.
- Partner across sub-system design teams to align on test requirements/constraints and drive design and test approach.
- Lead planning of designed experiments used in verification testing.
- Leverage Experimental Design for efficient coverage of complex parameter spaces and physics of failure analysis to drive deeper insights from experimental findings.
- Support product design teams by developing test tools enabling characterization of optical, mechanical, electrical, fluidic, or thermal subsystems.
- Support analysis, simulation and testing efforts.
Required Skills & Experience:
- B.S, M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering.
- 7+ Years of experience designing electro-mechanical test tools.
- Deep experience using Solidworks 3d CAD.
- Experience with definition, setup, characterization and testing of complex systems, including design of experiments, reliability life tests, and root cause analysis.
- Statistical analysis fundamentals and proven record of producing results to drive decisions.
- Proficient in GD&T per ASME Y14.5.
- Experience analyzing complex tolerance stacks.
- Able to build BOM's and assembly work instructions.
- Demonstrated track record of rapidly climbing steep learning curves. Enthusiasm for tackling tough problems on aggressive schedules.
- Strong teamwork, communication and presentation skills (ability to distill complex technical information into actionable technical recommendations).
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Experience and / or curriculum in Optical and Systems Engineering
- Understands basic design, alignment and assembly practices of optical systems
- Experience developing products in a regulated environment (FDA 510k approval process)
- Technically proficient in disciplines including optics, microfluidics, heat transfer, precision motion, and electronics.
- Experience with Monte Carlo simulation.
- Experience with a wide range of manufacturing technologies including high precision techniques, low cost/high volume techniques, micro-fabrication techniques, design for manufacturing, and design for reliability.
- Fluency in the methods and vocabulary of nucleic acid analytical techniques and molecular biology.
- Specific experience with product development for laboratory instrumentation for biological analysis.
- Understanding of failure data analysis process, and accelerated testing principles.