Title: Sr. Avionics Integration Engineer
Job Location: Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio
Odyssey Systems has an exciting new opportunity for a Sr. Avionics Integration Engineer position supporting the ISR/SOF Divisions, which consists of a diverse set of programs with equally diverse missions to meet a common goal: provide our warfighters with the best weapon systems possible in the most efficient and timely manner.
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, Ltd. is an innovative small business committed to providing world-class technical, management, and training support services to government and public sector clients. We focus on people, processes, and performance to deliver superior results. Since our inception in 1997, our commitment to mission success and customer satisfaction has been recognized with exponential growth and exceptional past performance ratings. We accept challenging assignments and drive projects from the planning stages through implementation and into operations and support.
Duties include, but not limited to:
- Shall apply the principles, criteria, and procedures of Department of Defense Directive (DoDD) 5000.1 and DoDD 5000.2R as well as the policies and processes of Headquarters (HQ) AFMC and AFLCMC Engineering Directorate to all SOF acquisition engineering tasks. Shall possess and demonstrate knowledge of a wide range of multidisciplinary professional engineering concepts, principles, practices, standards, methods, techniques, materials, and equipment to effectively apply advanced engineering theories, principles, and concepts to project development, execution, and advisory services. Shall provide advisory assistance in developing system concepts and performing technological/trade-off study assessments of proposed designs.
- Shall assist with providing technical support in planning, analyzing, and evaluating efforts used to define total weapons systems/subsystem requirements, translate requirements into design criteria, evaluate alternative design approaches, develop system specifications, and perform technological/trade-off study assessments of proposed designs to include airworthiness (and tailored airworthiness criteria).
- Shall provide support in developing system performance requirements, objectives and integration, and estimating time and resources for system design, development, and support.
- Shall apply expertise in the field of engineering and extensive knowledge of the assigned functional area to assist in resolving unique or novel problems related to design and development engineering, including knowing the principles of planning and program management; standard acquisition regulations, practices, and procedures; and other engineering disciplines used in support of sustainment, modification, and maintenance programs.
- Shall assist with planning, analyzing, and evaluating engineering and technical efforts to define total weapons system/subsystem requirements, translate requirements into design criteria, evaluate alternative design approaches, and develop the system specifications.
- Shall perform analysis and assist with evaluating proposals, presenting conclusions/recommendations, and integrating technical requirements, directives, and program plans to support assigned projects/programs in systems engineering, including the preparation and review of detailed specifications, drawings, and supporting documents. Additionally, Shall helps evaluate performance concerning program requirements, evaluate design changes to assess performance effects, and recommend changes to reduce system cost.
- Shall helps coordinate special studies on design changes, recommend solutions to technical problems, and recommend different engineering approaches through the development phase and into production. Additionally, Shall helps manage performance/cost relationships and analyze systems/equipment to ensure functional/operational integrity and reliability.
- Shall assists in performing complex and comprehensive analyses and uses systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approaches to determine performance objectives and integration issues.
- Shall assist with:
- Developing, implementing, and documenting projects;
- Ascertaining needed changes or modifications to production methods, procedures, and/or approaches;
- Documenting systems requirements;
- Evaluating procedures and employing innovative techniques and methods to achieve goals;
- Supporting engineering reviews and/or panels, developing evaluations and technical justifications of feasibility, practicability, and technical soundness, recognizing priorities as well as the urgency of the situation; work may include use or development of computer-aided engineering and analysis tools;
- Developing, executing, and reviewing policies, processes, and procedures of a special or miscellaneous character that may span multiple engineering disciplines and requires application of knowledge of such fundamentals;
- Participating in special projects/initiatives, and preparing oral/written reports; Presenting briefings and developing technical reports to document progress and results; Preparing management reports and conducting technical presentations for planning, implementation, and corrective action;
- Performing airworthiness determinations, Military Flight Release (MFR) preparation, Modification Airworthiness Certification Criteria (MACC) development, and reportability determinations per the latest version of Military Handbook (MIL-HDBK) 516.
- Shall assist in conducting limited modeling, simulation, and analysis of the effects of individual modifications on the SOF platforms' survivability/vulnerability. Shall communicate potential risks, issues, and recommendations to the Government for consideration.
- Shall assist the Government by guiding the technical direction and policy for developing and integrating propulsion systems: performance and operability, structures and subsystems, and controls. Shall provide advisory assistance and draft documentation support for the development, deployment, and maintenance technical requirements associated with propulsion system development and sustainment.
- Shall assist in providing systems and subsystems engineering, technical guidance, and support to design, develop, manufacture, integrate, test, and deploy electronic sensors, aircraft signature reduction technology, and defensive avionics for airborne weapon systems to ensure total weapon system compatibility with the electromagnetic environment and to ensure aircraft survivability.
- Shall provide advisory assistance and draft documentation support for translating DoD user requirements into system requirements for Government consideration.
- Shall provide advisory assistance and draft documentation support by performing technical/mission analyses of operational requirements.
- Shall assist in reviewing the overall system design baseline, including but not limited to architecture and interoperability requirements. Shall communicate potential risks, issues, and recommendations to the Government for consideration.
- Shall assist in the review of specifications including, but not limited to, system, system segment, equipment, and Interface Control Documents (ICDs), that are submitted by the weapon system contractor or other DoD agencies involved in the program.
- Shall provide advisory assistance and draft documentation (to include DoD Architecture Framework Products and Information Support Plans) by conducting systems analyses to include, but not limited to, system design/design feasibility, state-of-the-art assessments in support of the program, technical, and Milestone reviews.
- Shall provide advisory support by reviewing user requirements and priorities for SOF programs and provide cost/benefit assessments of user requirements to support CDD and CPD scope.
- Shall provide advisory assistance in the review of available data on all the on-going and planned modification projects.
- Shall assist in performing analysis designed to ensure Operational Safety, Suitability, and Effectiveness (OSS&E) of all supported weapons systems. Shall communicate potential risks, issues, and recommendations to the Government for consideration.
- Shall provide advisory assistance and draft documentation support by evaluating program technical risk and OSS&E, establishing risk mitigation plans, and overseeing program technical risk reduction efforts.
- Shall support and participate in TIMs, design reviews, configuration review boards, computer resources working groups, interoperability working groups, and interface control working groups program reviews. Shall provide advisory assistance and draft documentation support for developing summary information on the activities, action items, conclusions, and recommendations related to meetings and reviews.
- Shall provide advisory assistance and draft documentation support for the preparation of briefings. Documentation support shall include compiling and organizing background information, preparing draft briefings and talking papers, and providing backup documentation as required. Shall assist in facilitating briefings, as required.
- Shall provide advisory assistance and draft documentation in support of weapon system contractor source selections, to include the development of the Acquisition Strategy Plans (ASPs), Instructions to Offerors (ITOs), and technical evaluation criteria.
- Shall assist with developing and documenting recommended engineering inputs for PWSs, RFPs, and CDRLs for assigned programs.
- Shall support the Government in developing and maintaining requirements using tools such as the Dynamic Object-Oriented Requirements System (DOORS) and a baseline architecture model using tools such as IBM Rational System Architect (RSA) shall assist in developing courses of action and architecture products to support decision making.
- Shall provide systems and avionics engineering support and technical expertise in the areas of requirements generation, systems design and integration, development, modification, test, airworthiness, production, sustainment, deployment, operations, and divestiture as required.
- Shall provide technical expertise in maintenance systems integration, design to test, integrated diagnostics, and electronic support equipment.
- Shall interface with other system acquisition elements, higher headquarters, DoD, Government laboratories, industry, and universities. Shall provide advisory assistance and draft documentation support to exploit emerging technologies through interfaces with AFMC labs, other Government agencies, universities, and industry.
- Shall assist in providing avionics engineering, consultation, and support to design, develop, manufacture, integrate, test, and deploy supportable airborne weapon systems, including integrated avionics, embedded computer systems, software, and electronic maintenance systems.
- Shall provide advisory assistance and apply systems engineering processes related to the following: airworthiness; system requirements; mission-critical software releases; software plans and processes; metric and requirements development and traceability; functional and physical allocations; program protection elements; entry and exit criteria development for technical reviews; configuration audits; logical analysis; design solution and implementation; interface and interoperability integration; and test verification and validation.
- Shall provide advisory assistance and draft documentation support to conduct reviews and studies, performance requirements, and support avionics system-level integration.
- Shall provide advisory assistance to ensure the application of systems integration, interface management, test, reliability and maintainability, accreditation and certification, technology transfer, manufacturing readiness, Programmatic Environmental, Safety and Occupational Evaluation (PESHE), and Environmental, Safety, and Occupational Health (ESOH) processes are IAW DoDI 6055.05 Occupational and Environmental Health and AFI 48- 145 Occupational Health Program policies and standards.
- Shall provide advisory assistance in developing, deploying, and maintaining technical processes designed to develop and sustain products acquired while ensuring safe operation and maintenance of systems and forces.
- Shall assist the Government by providing knowledge, expertise, and guidance to produce artifacts where required in the following areas: systems integration, OSS&E; airworthiness certification per the latest version of MIL-HDBK-516; safety per MIL- STD-882; and AFI 63-1201, Life Cycle Systems Engineering.
- Shall provide advisory assistance in developing, deploying, and maintaining training systems, including modeling and simulation.
- Shall possess an understanding of the MIL-STD-1553 serial data bus standard and RS-232 communication standard and their implementation in large scale military training systems.
- Shall possess an understanding of Aeronautical Radio, Incorporated 610 suite of standards for design, integration, and use of avionics equipment, aircraft equipment, and software in military simulators.
- Active Secret Clearance
- Senior Avionics Integration Engineering personnel shall possess a Master’s of Science in Electrical or Electronic Engineering (MSEE) or Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) with Master of Science in Computer Engineering (MSCEG) or Master of Science in Software Engineering (MSSWE) and greater than twelve (12) years engineering experience in a relevant functional area with a minimum of six (6) of those years working in the specialty task areas of avionics, software or test for the DoD. Other ABET professional engineering degrees are acceptable with a minimum of eight (8) years of the twelve (12) years minimum engineering experience requirement in the specialty task areas of avionics, software, or test for the DoD.