Essential Functions & Accountabilities:
- Implementation of new automation for manufacturing, assembly & packaging, metrology equipment/systems, including design, development, engineering, validation, and continuous operation. Creation and execution of all required procedures/work instructions, training, and maintenance systems to support new equipment introductions.
- Drive/Support manufacturing innovation strategies to improve manufacturing quality, safety, cycle time and labor content.
- Perform routine troubleshooting activities for automated systems. Support of automation for manufacturing processes, including troubleshooting, operator assistance, data reporting, investigations, etc.
- Analyze and evaluate existing processes through tracking of production metrics to identify areas for improvement while providing engineering support to keep production equipment operating at optimum efficiencies.
- Assist in solving complex problems, analyzing possible solutions using standard methodologies, procedures, experience, judgement, and precedents.
- Use 3D CAD design software, design fixtures and components for equipment, assembly, testing, and inspection, and work with internal or external services to manufacture fixtures.
- Develop specifications, validation protocols and reports of activities associated with processes and equipment.
- Provide project direction to lead, make sound team-based decisions, foster teamwork and maintain project goal-oriented focus, drive team to meet established timelines. Determine and drive for stretch goals.
- Generate project progress reports and update management during scheduled project meetings.
- Document project activities in accordance with internal and global standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
CooperVision’s management team is committed to the development of and implementation of the quality management system and maintaining its effectiveness by communicating to the organization the importance of meeting customer as well as statutory and regulatory requirements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- At least 8 years of experience as an engineer with process/equipment automation focus.
- Proficiency with PLC programming, 3D CAD design, solid works, engineering design and development, and knowledge of instrumentation and sensing technologies related to medical devices manufacturing
- Must have a demonstrated track record of successfully participating in implementation of control systems, components, and automation initiatives.
- Knowledge in process design and development, error proofing, statistical process control and monitoring. Knowledge and practical experience of the use of Lean Six Sigma tools would be an advantage
- Project management skills
- Ability of self-learning, self-directing, natural curiosity and problems solving as well as work
- Team-oriented focus with an ability to find innovative technical solutions.
- Careful attention to detail to ensure accurate and precise execution of work tasks and procedures.
- Technical writing ability to support the development and drafting of reports and validation documents
- Intermediate skill in the use of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Advanced preferred.
- Normal manufacturing and office environment with some exposure to dust, heat and cold.
- May be required to travel as needed, up to an estimated 10%.
- Prolonged sitting in front of a computer
- Minimum of 8 - 10 years in automation development and implementation, preferably in the medical devices industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering or related field required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.