The Senior Auditor is responsible for planning and executing audits in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditors Professional Practice of Internal Audit Standards and reports to management on the adequacy and effectiveness of the system of control in ensuring reliability and integrity of information, compliance with policies and procedures, safeguarding of assets, effectiveness and efficiency of the operation, and achievement of goals and objectives.
This position will focus specifically on financial and accounting audits, including coordination of the SOX testingprogram. Additional abilities and responsibilities include:
- Develops work plans or risk assessment processes for assigned projects and audits, including scope judgments, staffing needs, deliverables, timelines and budgets.
- Monitors progress and outcomes against plan and budget and promptly adjusts project parameters and resource needs for an audit or series of assigned audits.
- Provides or sees to the delivery of accurate, timely, and comprehensive project status updates to the supervisor and clients. Promptly responds to questions or concerns pertaining to project status.
- Appropriately delegates project management responsibilities to assigned staff.
- Effectively prioritizes and manages deliverables for multiple, concurrent assignments.
Team and Individual Accountability
- Builds productive relationships with team members by being appropriately cognizant of other’s roles and deliverables, being focused on the overall audit objectives, and taking feedback from team members in a positive, professional manner.
- Takes the lead in proactively providing service to audit customers by managing and resolving competing priorities and demands while continuing to coordinate with the supervisor.
- Effectively resolves issues within assigned projects and encourages teamwork and respect during all phases of project completion.
- Demonstrates a strong level of maturity and professionalism which positively impacts the entire Internal Audit team and other contacts associated with assigned projects.
- Is able to effectively communicate with clients and appropriately identifies the amount and nature of detail and issues to share during discussions or presentations related to project reviews.
- Ensures that assigned audit team provides timely, ongoing status and audit results information to respective management within audited areas and that client feedback is appropriately taken into consideration and addressed whenever logical to do so.
- Encourages team members to be innovative in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the audited area.
Business and Organizational Knowledge
- Exhibits a solid, detailed understanding of process and product knowledge for entire audits.
- Anticipates problems and understands the implications of decisions on all levels of the organization.
- Takes steps to continuously update understanding of business and organizational knowledge.
- Effectively evaluates raised problems and control issues in order to drive the identification of root causes and solutions.
- Oversees the effective completion of audit planning and risk assessment phases for assigned audits.
- Oversees the effective execution and documentation of testing associated with the fieldwork phase of the audit, including ensuring that audit program steps are adequately satisfied, appropriate conclusions reached and issues documented.
- Constructs drafted audit observations and develops valid conclusions resulting in specific business process and internal control recommendations while considering implementation requirements, costs and likely client responses.
- Performs and/or ensures that all relevant audit workpapers and outputs are appropriately reviewed (by self or other supervisors), approved and filed as part of completing assignments.
- Assumes strong level of responsibility for and effectively manages own career and self-development, inclusive of balancing demands between projects, customers and team members.
- Provides team with timely and meaningful feedback during and after completion of the audit assignment.
- Effectively assesses the adequacy of application and system procedures as part of an overall control evaluation for an entire audit or assigned areas of an audit.
- Maintains and develops a broad detailed understanding of the impact of technical controls to the line of business and overall control environment.
- Effectively considers IT general control inadequacies as part of deriving audit plan and results for process/product audits.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or information systems.
- Professional certification (i.e. CIA, CBA, CISA, or CPA) preferred.
- Five to eight years of audit and/or IT audit related experience.
- Insurance industry skill and knowledge preferred.
- Knowledge in data analytics techniques, software and analytical methodologies.