Commercial Banking Santander's Commercial Banking Division is an active provider of capital, treasury management and risk management solutions to thousands of small and mid-sized companies in the northeast and across the country. We also have expertise and provide service to specific industry sectors including real estate, asset based lending, energy, education, health care and government.
Our clients rely on the strength of Santander's balance sheet and the degree to which our relationship managers understand their businesses in order to develop the most relevant and compelling solutions. In addition, Santander's significant international presence in regions around the world uniquely positions us to help companies grow their business, both near and far.
The Sr. Associate role will act as an expert in credit analysis and underwriting within the First Line risk management group embedded within the Commercial Banking Business. The group is the first line of defense in Santander's overall Enterprise Risk Framework. They help Maintain Risk & Control Self-Assessments, Risk Appetite, Exam Management, Issue detection, Remediation, Regulatory representation and expertise. Risk works directly with each department line to attain efficient impactful ways to mitigate risks of each area of Commercial Banking and work hand in hand with the business as they develop their strategic plans, new products, and requirements outlined in Heightened Standards.
The Sr. Associate will help champion the Business Control mandate acting as a critical partner guiding stakeholders to embed risk management practices in the 1st line. This Sr. Associate role will serve as a subject matter expert in Credit risk advising and guiding enterprise wide initiatives in close partnership with 2nd line Credit Officers. Evaluations require collaboration with various stakeholders while influencing parties towards strategic goals. May manage a small team in these efforts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Acts as a liaison with Risk and Compliance or second line of defense- to develop and implement new policy requests/revisions, to complete all line of business related risk assessments, risk mandates, continuity plans, resolution plans and execution.
- Analyzes, evaluates and provides strategic guidance and direction for programs, policies and procedures to ensure alignment with regulatory requirements and acceptable risk mitigation practices.
- Develops and implements appropriate controls and procedures reflecting the standards set forth in the policies and Regulations while accounting for risks inherent in the products, services, types of customers, locations of customers, and functions of the Business Unit.
- Develops, implements and monitors compliance program and controls for the assigned area. Identifies gaps in controls, proposes solutions, and implements corrective actions.
- Drives projects to implement the necessary changes to policy, procedures and processes in order to align the Business Unit(s) to the organization's OCC's practice standards.
- Effectively partners with line of business to solicit information and to mitigate risk.
- Manages complex process evaluations across single or varied line of business.
- Provides advisory support for regulatory examinations and audits by defining the how and why for all implemented decisions; ensures all requested documentation is provided.
- Recognized as a subject matter expert by advising and guiding enterprise wide initiative such as risk assessments, KPI development, and remediation of issues.
- Reports to management on regulatory developments and risks/issues identified within assigned Compliance area.
- Regularly provides reports to Retail Risk and Compliance Director on progress.
- Supports Business Unit team members in the resolution of Risk related issues.
At Santander, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We actively encourage everyone to apply.
- Commercial Banking underwriting and or credit experience
- Bachelor's Degree: Risk Management, Information Systems, Finance, Accounting, Economics or equivalent field.
- Master's Degree preferable; Accounting, Business, Statistics, Risk Management, Information Systems, Finance, Economics or equivalent field, or equivalent work experience;
- 5-10 years of experience in Commercial Banking or equivalent.
- 9-12 years; Risk Management, Internal Controls, Auditing, Credit Management, relevant line of business experience and/or legal or regulatory experience.
- Ability to anticipate the impact of regulatory and other environmental factors and proactively take action to ensure the team/function/enterprise is prepared.
- Ability to build credibility with, collaborate with, and influence line of business executives.
- Ability to build internal and external networks of information resources within the risk management ecosystem.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external service providers to establish resource requirements, scheduling, assignments and service levels.
- Ability to constructively work both independently and in collaborative environments involving all levels of management and employees.
- Ability to work with limited oversight from manager.
- Advanced knowledge of the financial services sector, particularly with the competitive dynamics and products in retail banking and risk management.
- Advanced understanding of the regulatory environment and how the risks of the products and services the bank offers are viewed by the Second Line of Defense and regulators.
- Demonstrated experience executing risk projects across multiple business lines offering a wide variety of financial services products and services.
- Demonstrated judgement in escalation, ensuring risk-based clear line of sight for senior executives into existing and emerging issues/incidents., Demonstrated thought leadership and application of operational risk identification and mitigation practices and procedures.
- Excellent analytical and complex problem solving skills.
- In depth research and analysis skills for more complex and critical data, interpret and communicate industry trends.
- Strong understanding of BSA/AML and OFAC regulations, regulatory expectations and industry leading practices.
- Superior project management skills.