Leads and coordinates architectural design work for newbuild, revitalization or refurbishment projects.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Leader who ensures the design intent is apparent and credible, and that the voice of the Executive Steering Committee and Brand Think Tank is communicated clearly and consistently throughout the design process.
- Ensures that design guidelines & standards, CADD & drawing standards, and contract references are fulfilled within content of design drawings and specifications, and that the materials are delivered on a timely basis.
- Independently plans, manages, guides design, and oversees projects, while cross coordinating and sharing best practices effectively between external architectural, interior design and consultancy firms, guiding the design they provide. Receives guidance and coordination from Manager on unusual or complex issues
- Fosters an innovative, forward thinking, proactive, and collaborative environment as a role model that brings all disciplines together and creates favorable results. Commitment to learning & growth of oneself and others.
- Upholds SQM practices throughout all design phases.
- Initiates and regularly attends meetings with sponsors (clients) as an active participant & obtains approval on design.
- Studies, collects, shares, and stores statistical information, and, analyzes and compares various ships and areas such as public vs. crew areas, outdoor decks vs. enclosed spaces, dining vs. entertainment spaces, etc., bringing forth observations, conclusions, and recommendations.
- Creates presentations and project reports as updates for upper management review. Must be strong communicator. Exhibits advanced capabilities in written, oral, and graphic media. Represents department and self in a competent professional manner
- Possesses cost consciousness in all aspects of work and coordinates cost complexity balancing along with other cost control needs.
- Conducts practicality reviews to ensure that operational, risk or accessibility concerns are being considered in all aspects of design.
- Supports execution oversight by site office architect coordinators / revite space managers, through shop drawing review process, and participation in yard / contractor coordination meetings, mockup reviews, factory visits and inspections during newbuilding process and drydock period.
- Effectively delegates assignments and imparts knowledge to others within the department and externally.
- Understands importance of growth, and maintaining sponsor / consultant / yard relationships with ability to negotiate critical and controversial issues.
- Stays current in industry trends and innovation through research and market knowledge
- Occasionally accepts assignments for design concepts, space planning, design development, drawings & details (elevations, sections, details) of designated venues.
- Performs other duties as required. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Manages project spend up to $5 mil for revitalizations and $10 mil for newbuilds.
- Minimum 10 years design industry experiencerequired. Minimum of 5 years managing large scale projects
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Interior Design required, Architecture degreepreferred.
- Cruise ship newbuild or revitalization project management experiencepreferred.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to travelinternationally or domestically 25% of the time.
- Knowledge of cruise ship staterooms or crew areas preferred.
- Must possess skills in at least 2 of the following: AutoCAD, Excel, Powerpoint, Photoshop, Sketchup; MicroSoft Project is nice to know