Introduction about the BusinessNovelis is the leading producer of flat-rolled aluminum products and the world’s largest recycler of aluminum. We work alongside our customers to provide innovative solutions to the beverage can, automotive and high-end specialty markets; and we serve some of the largest and best-known brands in the world, such as Coca-Cola, ABInBev, The Ford Motor Company, Jaguar LandRover, LG and Samsung. Operating an integrated network of technically advanced rolling and recycling facilities across North America, South America, Europe and Asia, Novelis leverages its global manufacturing and recycling footprint to deliver consistent, high-quality products around the world. A commitment to sustainability is core to our business operations and extends to how we partner with stakeholders across the aluminum value chain. We see tremendous opportunities in continuing to expand the use of lightweight, infinitely recyclable aluminum to help our customers achieve their sustainability goals and provide consumers the environmentally friendly products they enjoy.
The Senior Application Engineer – Formability will serve as key member of our Automotive Applications Technology team at the Novelis Novi, MI location. This role will bring aluminum forming, stamping expertise and FEM simulation knowledge to the team. This will include formability testing; such as Formability Limit Curve using DIC, LDR/LDH, Bulge and Shear testing along with formability assessments on Novelis Automotive products. Advanced theoretical and practical understanding of the impact of surface and friction on the stamping performance is essential. This engineer will play a key role in engaging with the automotive commercial and technical teams to understand OEM forming processes and performance of Novelis material in such processes. The incumbent will be a key member of the Customer Solution Center (CSC) in Novi which collaborates with other CSCs around the globe. The CSCs will be key to promote innovations in the area of aluminum forming and joining to provide new technical solutions to customers and internal project teams. This role will support the Senior Technical Manager of the Automotive Solution Center who manages the application engineering team in Novi which has additional expertise in CAE design, part performance and joining: Responsibilities
- Involved in early design (tool and process) stage at OEMs by supporting on simulation and related tests.
- Actively engage with Automotive OEM engineers to collaborate on projects and methods as needed.
- Work with OEMs and team member on on-site stamping trial and mold modification and related process control.
- Report on related projects and lessons learned for future application at other OEMs, and suggestions on alloy improvements on stamping point.
- Participate in automotive development projects and meets assigned project commitments and project timelines / deliverables.
- Prepare necessary data card for simulation with the support from team members and external resources.
- Identify main issues on stamping at OEMs with Customer Technical Services (CTS) and related internal or external resources to solve those engineering problems
- Work with resources, OEM and CTS to set up action plans, to ensure root causes are identified and problems solved in a timely manner.
- Train local OEMs on how to stamp aluminum sheet and use related simulation tools
- Introduce new stamping techniques to local OEMs and make it realized locally
- Collect local technical needs on stamping, share with R&D center and set up related projects to satisfy those needs.
- Train Novi team including CTS on stamping process, tool design and related simulation tool.
- Provide technical advice for problem solving related to process, quality or claim issues.
- Evaluate potential benefits for implementation of innovation
- Propose and promote product improvement developments for cost reduction or quality improvement of products or new process-product introduction
- Contributes to the definition of the Development and Product Management Strategy
- Regular review of activities to ensure alignment with market needs.
- Masters Degree in Mechanical, Metallurgical or Materials Engineering
- 10 to 15 years of relevant experience for Master’s Candidate; 5 to 10 years of relevant experience for PhD candidate
- Experience related to aluminum products for applications in automotive preferred.
- Real part aluminum forming and stamping expertise and FEM simulation knowledge
- Experience using FEA software such as non-linear codes LS-DYNA, Autoform, PAMCRASH, or ABAQUS, and linear codes such as Optistruct, NASTRAN, or similar.
- Experience with topology and shape optimization codes is a plus.
- Experience handling 3D CAD data generated by codes such as CATIA or NX
- Advanced theoretical and practical understanding of the impact of surface and friction on the stamping performance is essential
- Formability testing; such as Formability Limit Curve using DIC, LDR/LDH, Bulge and Shear testing along with formability assessments on Novelis Automotive products
- Experience in Hot Forming
- Proven hands-on product development experience.
- Excellent problem solving
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and capability to thrive in a multinational and multifunctional team environment.
- Ability to travel in the local or regional area up to 30% of the time